Strange noise from front wheel

Moderator: Moderators

superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Strange noise from front wheel

Post by superman »

Hi all i went out last night and at low speeds my front wheel is makin a catchin sound its abit wierd, i never noticed it before but now its all i can hear at low speeds. im not sure if it has anything to do with the stationry drop the other day but it didn't hit the ground hard the only thing broke was the mirror not a scratch elsewhere. anyway i was wondering if anybody knew what could cause this problem, i hope not a bent disc althoe it looks ok.
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Could be your front wheel bearings. Would be a good idea to get the front wheel in the air and give it a spin, might be able to loacate the where abouts of the noise then. Might even be the pads on the disk, not that it might be bent but the brake pad plate (shiny plate on top of the caliper) could have come loose and lets the pads rattle around a bit.
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

yea, it sort of makes the sound of your old pushbike when it has a buckled back tire at 1 particular part its catchin, dont know what it is thoe. i aint got no tools to get the front up, ill have to sort it thoe.
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

if you can find a mate to help you can lean it over onto the sidestand and the rear wheel, with the front wheel in the air. one of you can hold it there while the other checks the bearings.

if you find something wrong of course then you will need a paddock stand or similar, unless you have a very patient mate!
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

It could also be a warped brake disk...

Or nothing to worry about at all!
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

but you'll worry about it anyway, even if you are imagining it!
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

lol tell me about it, iv got visions about doin a weely and just seeing the front wheel rolling alont the floor while im on the back wheel.

Well i aint got much experience at this but ill give it a go, iv got a paddock comin at the end of the month.
is it expensive to put right if the wheel bearings have gone.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

If you do it yourself the bearings themselves are 6 quid each i think, plus a few hours of your time. If you get a garage your probably looking at about 60 or 70 quid.
zxrtbone
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by zxrtbone »

theres some on e-bay at the minute £6.50 but there for the rear wheel,not a lot of good to you i know but keep checking as there is nearly always some on there,good ol e-bay :smt003
tomzxr400

Post by tomzxr400 »

there £4 each at http://shop.wemoto.com/index.dyn there quite cheep for most things and fast delivery
zxrtbone

Post by zxrtbone »

yeah man i've seen that website before,pretty much everything on there,cheap too :smt001
Little Loris
My Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6

Post by Little Loris »

Get some new bearings just in case. Small price to pay to prevent a crash and a write-off. Also sounds like your discs could be warped too. Is the front brake pulsing?
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

Another vote for wemoto.com here!

I've used them for parts for several bikes now and they've always been cheap and very fast delivery! :smt001
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

Ok folks iv had a development the noise goes when i pull the front brake thank god, so this means it aint a warped disk or the bearings so thats cool but its like a rattlin sound now somethin is loose i think.

oh an cheers for that website tomzxr because they cell mirrors singular even thoe they ar 25 notes no matter i dont think ill get one cos most people will brake the left mirror anyway.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

think i've got the wheel bearings in stock? but i can't be blamed for goods lost in the post :smt005
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.