Conti Force, good Tyre? and worrying question

Moderator: Moderators

SplaTZXR400
My Bike: ZXR400

Conti Force, good Tyre? and worrying question

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

Hi guys sorry to be a bore im sure this has asked lots but id like to know from someone a decent tyre, i was thinking continental contiforce as im on a tight budget and i only use it for pleasure and commuting, not racing. so is this good?

Other thing is i dunno how long its been there but i noticed today a long crack running down my tyre, :smt010 jus off-center, about 9 inches long, the tyre's nackered n will be replacing next week but is this of any immediate concern like blow out or puncture or something?

I did run to croydon and back yesterday, 140 mile round trip down the a27, a23, and m23, fast roads but im paranoid :smt009
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

Well not so toad on the parade but i think your right to be paranoid mate. there is a chance it could blow all you need to do is hit a pot hole or somethin an that gash will open up by the sounds of it. then again thoe how deep is it, but anyway what price would you put on your life? i would just ride it very steady till you get a new one ASAP.
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

Now that its day iv got some pics but how do u upload them? also dont these front tyres needs bout 35psi, would it be an idea to reduce it slightly to ease the perssure,not too much obviously but im gonna have to ride easy anyway, say 25 or so.
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

Im no expert on tyres but i think if you deflate it more then it will be more likely to pop cos there will be more tyre in contact with the road plus the handeling will be affected to. im sure there are folks who know more on this subject. only last week i had a blowout in my car so if it happens on the bike at speed i say you got a 98% chance of comin off an doin yourself damage not worth the risk

oh you need to contact masterofinfinity or Rob for pics
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

SplaTZXR400 wrote:Now that its day iv got some pics but how do u upload them?
http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=43
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

the picture quality is not great but you should be able to see a faint line just right of the center.

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/coppermine/di ... t=-3&pos=0

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/coppermine/di ... t=-3&pos=1[/img]
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

hmmm all it looks like to me is that there aint much grip, but it looks on its way out, i would change it, how long has it been on there if you recently bought it from someone with the tire on it still, im sure they have some sort of shelf life, so if your bike has been in storage the tyre might be out of date. im sure i read RobB onabout it at some point.
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

o ye i no, thats how i noticed it, jus routinely checkin tyres, i noticed that the middle groove has worn down to those little nibs and ye there aint much grip really, but then i notics that fine crack, n was worried at it splittin.
greengoblin
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 96 ZX7R, 01 ZX6R

Post by greengoblin »

If its advice your after then I say replace it!

What price peace of mind? :smt004

If it does go and the bike goes down, (hopefully won't happen) you'll be looking at a whole lot more expense than the price of a tyre.

It ain't worth it mate :smt001
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

ye i no i need to replace it, iv bin quoted £68 for tyre and fitting, contiforce sport and valve etc. but i dont get paid for another week, n i have no money in my bank, im skint, so il jus have to take it easy, for work which is only 3 miles anyway. bit it dont look good i no.
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

Ah i think it will be ok for a week. but like you said take it easy or it will cost more than 68 notes. a good tip, always buy the best tyres you can afford same for brakes an gear ie leathers etc, another fantastic tip NEVER eat yellow snow
:smt005
greengoblin
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 96 ZX7R, 01 ZX6R

Post by greengoblin »

Course I could be the pot calling the kettle black !! :smt017

Check out my rear tyre !!!!! Image

I should listen to my own advice :smt002
gubbs
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZZR1100C3

Post by gubbs »

Contiforce rear and Sportmax front.

Awesome combination.

If you are feeling flush, Road Attack.

£154 fitted and balanced.

No idea how long they last but the Contiforce will last _forever_.

I have 8, 000+ miles on the rear on my ZZR1100.

No exaggeration.

IMHO the Bridgestone 020 is a terrible tyre for light/middleweight machines and if you use a ST front tyre, with the flat profile and ultra-firm rubber, the bike will not only turn in reluctantly, it will feel heavy and offer absolutely no feedback or confidence on anything other than perfect surfaces in warm weather.

Trust me, avoid the 020's. The Contiforce is an amazing rear end for those who do some miles all year round; just make sure you pair it up with a sensible front profile. As I said, Sportmax is the best compliment in my experience. Cheap too.

HTH
SplaTZXR400

Post by SplaTZXR400 »

cheers gubbs, ye i agree i have contiforce on the rear, real good all round tyre, good grip (except wen i bought it n fell off) well good price, well iv managed to borrow some money, so i should have my new tyre by the end of this week hopefully as im so paranoid bout that front, probly going for a contforce sport which iv heard good thigns about.
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

Iv got bridgestone battleaxe 020's front an rear not had a problem on them so far to be fair an aint spilled the beans yet, but i aint tryed any other tyres so i couldnt tell ya how they are compared to other makes.
:smt004