dunlop

Moderator: Moderators

boldaholic
My Bike: tomos moped

dunlop

Post by boldaholic »

is it just me or do dunlop tyres feel like they have a flat spot when the bike is leaning into a corner??
You are only young once but you can be immature forever!!!!!
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Re: dunlop

Post by rene »

its probaly more you've got squeared off tyers, my 750 had bad ones before i got it basicly because its never lent over only the midels get worn not the outside makeing the profle the wrong shape
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
gubbs
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZZR1100C3

Post by gubbs »

D207's feel like that yes ..

They feel like they are going to let go, then your up and over onto the edge.

Of course if its even remotely damp you'll die.

Awful tyres.

Sportmax are good tho.
zxr400 h2 (breaking)
zzr1100c3 (broken)
Vespa et4 (almost broken)

My FleaBay

"Save the planet, eat a vegan .." - Clarkson
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Ballsout Racing »

It really depends on what Dunlops you're talking about.

Dunlops tend to have a stiffer side wall than others, therefore less forgiving over bumps etc. Certainly race Dunlops are quite pointy, in that I mean they have a profile that is not so round, more flat on the sides to give a bigger contact patch when the bike is on it's side, also making the bike turn a lot quicker, the downside being that they can feel a little unstable when upright. The D207GPs were brilliant, but I can't speak for the road (IIRC D207RR) version, but I know they had less grip. :smt001
gubbs
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by gubbs »

Ballsout Racing wrote:It really depends on what Dunlops you're talking about.

Dunlops tend to have a stiffer side wall than others, therefore less forgiving over bumps etc. Certainly race Dunlops are quite pointy, in that I mean they have a profile that is not so round, more flat on the sides to give a bigger contact patch when the bike is on it's side, also making the bike turn a lot quicker, the downside being that they can feel a little unstable when upright. The D207GPs were brilliant, but I can't speak for the road (IIRC D207RR) version, but I know they had less grip. :smt001
They were OK tyres, the 207's. As has been said they suffer from the up-and-over profile which can be very scary on some bikes (Ducati twins) and they take a while to warm up in my experience. Longer than they should.

I also found that they contributed a fair amount of 'bobble' at speed. Not aided by imperfect suspension, but a change of tyres solved the issue for well over 20, 000 miles so I am inclined to place the blame at Dunlop's door.

Along with that, many others report dire problems when riding in damp or wet conditions. Put simply, all the grip vanishes and (personally as well as empirically) they have a tendency to pitch riders into lowsides.

One friend, a very experienced rider, said it was most dangerous to experienced riders who would be used to riding almost the same in the wet as they do in the dry; only to find that under braking the grip simply reaches out to a point then lets go without any real warning.

My first, and only, crash was on these tyres. Just after a rain storm, under braking. When I mentioned it at work a whole bunch of sportsbike riders chimed up around the fag shed about experiencing or hearing about someone experiencing the same problem.

Thats not to say all Dunlop rubber is rubbish.

I have used Sportmax front tyres for 15k this last year, all weathers and absolutely rate them.

I never use the rear option, I prefer to mix a sportmax with a Michelin or Continental ST hoop for maximum all weather turn and commuter stability.

The Sportmax has always been the most confidence inspiring front ST rubber I have used.

Second to none and incredibly cheap and easy to source.
zxr400 h2 (breaking)
zzr1100c3 (broken)

My FleaBay

Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Ballsout Racing »

gubbs, I'm not saying your wrong, to make myself clear, I'm just speaking from a racers point of veiw, of the race Dunlop 'GP' tyres. The 207GPs were one of the best 'road legal race tyres' at the time. They also had loads of grip in the damp wet conditions due to the amout of the tread pattern that became less and less from the 207 to the 209 and whatever the current name is. These 'GP' tyres are designed to work when hot, but to get them hot takes track/race type riding to get them there, not necessarily road riding. Road riding will take a lot longer and even, from what you're suggesting, may not even get to their optimal working temperature. The road versions (RR) are different (and offer less grip on track), but since I don't ride on the road anymore I can't really comment on them. I used to run Michelin Pilots on the road and found similar problems that you are describing, in that I had a lot of slides and near misses until they were properly warm. I think the problem is that track based tyres will not work on the road unless they are properly warmed up, and that will probably require hard riding to get them there. Road based tyres are designed to work properly at lower operating temperatures.
Anyway, I've had a couple of drinks so I hope that all that waffle makes sense :smt003 :smt002
Anybody want to buy some part worn Pirrelli Super Corsa Pro's (that warm up more quickly than Dunlops :smt002 ) for track use :smt004
gubbs
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by gubbs »

My days of obtaining part worn tyres over the internet are long gone dude.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gubbs

:smt019

All started a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away ..

http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthr ... rust+gubbs

What a Camel indeed!
zxr400 h2 (breaking)
zzr1100c3 (broken)

My FleaBay

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Too much to read, but i tend to find the general population of that forum are a bunch of wasters. Surely they have better things to do than sit waiting for a bloody argument and generate 7 pages of toad in an hour?

did you ever sort it? Looks like you were reasonable, although i can kinda understand that he would want his postage back but he could have been alot more diplomatic about it.
gubbs
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by gubbs »

RobB wrote:Too much to read, but i tend to find the general population of that forum are a bunch of wasters. Surely they have better things to do than sit waiting for a bloody argument and generate 7 pages of toad in an hour?

did you ever sort it? Looks like you were reasonable, although i can kinda understand that he would want his postage back but he could have been alot more diplomatic about it.
Pretty much my view. They seem to be predominatently middle class w****ers, mainly IT geeks and 'high earners' who live in a dream world.

The guy in question was well known for ripping people off and then playing silly buggers by posting up about how hard done by he was ..

He'd scarpered without paying on a few ride outs and once even tried to charge a pillion he'd offered a lift for tyre wear after a road trip ..

In the end I just told him to f*** off. I would have sent his tyres back, did indeed offer too but he had obviously sent the wrong sizes intentionally and then tried to bully me into paying the full amount.

When I reminded him I am a law student and would not be intimidated or extorted he stopped.

However for the next two years he created about 6 alts on the forum and every single post I made he'd post something about me being a thief or a liar and such forth.

After that I had him on ignore, but he'd just create more alts and so on ..

Eventually he posted some _really_ nasty stuff on a build thread I was doing and I complained to the forum mods and advised him I'd be seriously thinking about doing him for libel.

I asked the owner of the forum to remove the thread and all other threads abusing me or questioning my character and got rebuffed. So I deleted as much of my threads as possible, threads that brought in well over 10, 000 hits to that site and knocked it on the head.

As far as I am aware, its pretty much what happens on that forum. People come in, try to get involved and are basically squeezed out by the 'old guard' who view it as their own private ego trip.

How not to run a forum basically. You don't have to censor anything, but when people start getting really personal and vicious etc. you need to act. They didn't. So I just moved on - ultimately I am going to be a solicitor and I am also self employed and you just can't have toad like that following you around. Mud sticks.

I have since joined loads of other forums and never experienced anything like the level of obnoxiousness or just general twattishness they perpetuate at Visordown.com. I mean a 42 page thread filled with abuse, totally uniformed judgements and libel. Jesus!

In my opinion it is predominantly populated by middle class IT contracting w****ers who if they own bikes at all, only ride them on track days (which of course cost millions of pounds to tie in with their 'I am a MotoGP God' complexes) or only when the sun is out and they can get maximum exposure for their Alpinestars everything and other brand names.

They have to go somewhere, best they all go there and stay off places like here.

I'm 100% for freedom of speech, but I draw the line at abuse. Its majority rule on a web forum init, and there the majority rules.

You're either in the club or you are fair game.

Much like life really ..
zxr400 h2 (breaking)
zzr1100c3 (broken)

My FleaBay