How much am i looking at roughly....

Moderator: Moderators

tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr 400 h1

How much am i looking at roughly....

Post by tng21 »

Right, ive been looking at my tyres on my bike and the front seems a little squared off. I dont know what they are apart from being Bridgestones ( cant check my mates out to work on it )
but just a query about how much a new front tyre is liable to cost roughly?

Just so i know how much i gotta try and get to have it done. I know my mate just paid £135 for the rear to be done on hers, are the front roughly the same?
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Re: How much am i looking at roughly....

Post by rene »

if you shop around you should get a bt090 for around £90

Had these on my 400 and they were lovely tyers, really soft and loads of feedback, being soft they squear off easy tho
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

well my friends home now and ive just checked what i have and they are bridgstone BT014's. These any good?
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

i've nerver tried them but there ment to be good for everyday riding were your not going to make the most of the super soft 090's. So your going to get better tyer life, but when you are thrashing it there not as sticky
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
gubbs
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZZR1100C3

Post by gubbs »

Tyres are as individual a thing as pants mate.

Depends what you use the bike for ..

If its transport first, toy second, you want ST rubber.
If its just a toy, I'd go for the 090, as far as I know thats the only tyre specifically made for the 400.

There's loads of choice tho.

Continental Attack Road are considered good value at £154 a set.
zxr400 h2 (breaking)
zzr1100c3 (broken)
Vespa et4 (almost broken)

My FleaBay

"Save the planet, eat a vegan .." - Clarkson
billy big skid

Post by billy big skid »

I use Pirellis on the race bike and they are brilliant. Having said that i've manged to blag some Avon Viper supersport extreme from the Avon uk sales manager so i'll be testing them on track soon. I've had a set of normal Vipers on my road bike and can highly recommend them.

You can get Pirelli Supercorsas for around £150 a pair these days. I use a very nice man in Wales for these, his number is 01792795144
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

I rate the Vipers too, well on my 7R anyway, sticky as anything. Oh, i have the Viper Sports btw.
gubbs
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZZR1100C3

Post by gubbs »

RobB wrote:I rate the Vipers too, well on my 7R anyway, sticky as anything. Oh, i have the Viper Sports btw.
How long do they last tho?
zxr400 h2 (breaking)
zzr1100c3 (broken)
Vespa et4 (almost broken)

My FleaBay

"Save the planet, eat a vegan .." - Clarkson
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

ummmm, the rear lasted me about 4K or 5K i think, i replaced it about 2 months ago with a BT14 as i needed a good tyre for the MOT and my mate works at a tyre place and it was 'laying about'. i did loads of motorway mileage over the last year, but considering that, it wore pretty evenly, it didnt look squared off at all. The front still has loads left, but im replacing the pair end of the summer. I knew they wouldnt last long when i bought them, but i wanted to try them and dont regret it one bit, best tyre ive ever used.
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

thing is tho if your riding a bike like a 7r your going to ride it hard at some point, would you rather slippy longlasting tyers (10k or so?) OR get some that can take it but you have to replace them 5k earlyer

i always went for soft rubber when i was all year riding, did used to squear off when i went up to prestion ect (500 odd miles every cuple of weeks)
ZXR750 L1

BikePics page-
mycallsevern
My Bike: ZXR400 L3 UK spec

Post by mycallsevern »

I ride on Bridgestone BT020 which are a sports touring tyre, I find they never loose grip and are fantastic in the wet giving loads of confidence. I had my front replaced for £108 all in.
Rubber side down, rubber side down, rubber side down.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

As you can tell i went for the grippy, replace every 5k choice! Id rather have confidence when i need it rather than an edgy that the bikeis going to drop!
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

I went for that approach as well and fitted viper sports to the 400.

that said, I remember reading in performance bikes a couple of months back that they tested a bridgestone ST tyre and it was only about 15s slower around the nurburgring than a bridgestone 'barely-road-legal' sports/race tyre. That's 15 seconds over about 8 minutes.

i'll see how long the avons last. have only done about 1500 miles on them so far.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

well ive just been told by my mate who's using my bike that she'll pay for the front tyre to be replaced as she's using it all the time as a thankyou so thats a bonus.

Would a Bt090 on the front and a bt 014 on the back be ok?

Ill be using it quite a bit when i pass but will get another car at some point so i dont use it as much so would prefer the 090's if they grip better but rear doesnt need changing really.
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

alot of people look down on mixing tyers, personaly i dont mind but i'll aways have a more sticky tyer on the front to the rear

what you said sounds a nice combo
ZXR750 L1

BikePics page-