Stripped Thread

Moderator: Moderators

stuart42

Stripped Thread

Post by stuart42 »

Hi All

whilst fitting brake discs to my front wheel, with the bolts I can still find (see my wanted post), I cleverly sheared a bolt off in the wheel.

So now my problem, do I get the wheel helicoiled or the like or how much is a front 'L' model wheel likely to cost?

All thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
Stuart
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Stripped Thread

Post by RedexRobB »

For a front wheel i think your looking at about 80 from ebay plus the cost of getting it repainted and new bearing maybe? dont know how much helicoiling is but id weigh it up against that. and see where you are. Personally, id try and drill through the middle of the bolt and hammer in a torx bit, if you have one, and then try and unscrew it.
zxrturbine

Post by zxrturbine »

:smt001 if i was you i would helicoil it , i work at dymag racing wheels so we do helicoiling all the time in the mag wheels , if the thread is that damaged we have special inserts which can be inserted . :smt001
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

hang on, Im a bit confused. The subject title is "Stripped Thread" but yet you say that you have sheared a bolt off in the wheel? In my personal experience, a stripped thread and sheared bolt do not go together!
If you have stripped the thread, then the bolt should drop straight out and I would get it helicoiled.
If you have sheared the bolt - you need to get it out and then you should be able to put another bolt straight in. If you need some help/advice in getting a sheared bolt out, then ask away!

..... or am i missing the point completely? :smt017

/Caz
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
stuart42

Post by stuart42 »

Well spotted Caz

It's actually a bit of both really.

I did shear the bolt and cannot get it out so now need a new thread put in.

Cheers
Stuart
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

You will only need a new thread if you ruin it trying to get the sheared bolt out mate.
the bouf

Post by the bouf »

simple fix if the bolt has snapped nip to halfords buy some screw extractors they're about a fiver then drill a hole through the bolt and screw the extracter in anti clockwise this should unscrew it nice and easy leaving the original thread intact
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

the bouf wrote:simple fix if the bolt has snapped nip to halfords buy some screw extractors they're about a fiver then drill a hole through the bolt and screw the extracter in anti clockwise this should unscrew it nice and easy leaving the original thread intact
Kinda like my idea, only more professional! :smt005
stuart42

Post by stuart42 »

Yeah tried that, but no joy.

Thanks for your thoughts.

cheers
Stuart