good tyres for wet and fast warm up

Moderator: Moderators

raul
My Bike: zxr400

good tyres for wet and fast warm up

Post by raul »

hello everyone-
i start doing some courier work in London and I'm in need for some tyres that perform well right from cold and wet as i do allot of stops and they tend to loose grip ones cold.At the moment i have bt014front and continental back they're OK in dry once warmed up but in wet is a different story i had several hairy moments , but doing courier work time is against you so i can't back up to much i have to push to earn a decent living therefore i need my bike to perform very well . I want some REAL opinions what tyres fits my criteria ,,, thank you all
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Re: good tyres for wet and fast warm up

Post by Caz »

How about a set of road legal wets? I put a set of Avon Pro Extreme wets on my ZXR a couple of years back - awesome grip in the wet!! I got about 1500 miles out of the rear - but I ended up in a situation where I had to commute on the bike in the middle of summer..... with these tyres fitted! So its not exactly surprising that they didnt last any longer.

Anyhow - rather than repeating myself, the write up is here: http://www.motorbikestoday.com/features ... n_wets.htm

/Caz
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
raul

Post by raul »

right ; after i read a bit in the tyre section it seems to me that tyres are a mixed personal choice according to riding stile conditions etc..and was thinking one of these
PIRELLI DIABLO H-RATED £169 per set
can you get anything else H rated for a decent price?
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Caz »

tyres are a personal choice - i personally do not get on with the BT014 and the contis.......

The Diablo is the same type of tyre as the 014 and the continental - ie sports tyres. Theyre not designed to work in the cold and wet, and as you are finding.... once they get up to temperature, theyre fine. But when cold - you have no confidence in them.
Apparently you aren't interested in something like the pro-extreme wet, so you may like to consider a street/sports tourer tyre. They dont need as much heat in them and will work better in these types of conditions. The Pirelli Diablo Strada and, Bridgestone BT021 spring to mind
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2

raul

Post by raul »

i only mentioned the pirelli because its all i could find in h rated i had a look at strada's but they all zr rated same as my bt014 is ,that's why they take longer to warm up as for the extreme wets i do 120 to 180 miles a day easily 600 a week i already squared of my rear which was new 2 month ago i was thinking more like a touring H rated tyre ;;;; is bt021 a H rated?
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Caz »

There's no need to go for an H rated tyre IMO - the correct rating for the ZXR is a Z rated tyre. If you say it has to be H rated, you're severely limiting your choice. I'd look for the correct type of tyre for the type of riding that you want to do, and if it comes in an H rated version - thats a bonus :smt001. The bog standard Diablo, is the equivalent of the BT014 and I dont think that it will improve the situation even with an H rated one fitted. A change to a sports touring one should do what you want!

Good luck!! :smt004
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2

rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

theres no point limiting yourself to H its just narrowing your choice for no reason.

deepending on your riding style something like the BT45 might be good for you. Personaly i still with Corsa III's all year round as i sometimes throw in a winter track day ect.
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Caz »

rene wrote:theres no point limiting yourself to H
completely agree
Personaly i still with Corsa III's all year round.
The other half has those on his superduke, and ended up going sideways at very low speed due to cold tyres.
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2

Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Jeppo »

I can't recommend pirelli diablos enough!! They always seem to have grip!!!
I've had bt014s and personally didnt like them one bit. but as has been said, personal choice. I've heard good things about avons....
raul

Post by raul »

thank you for the replies guys ,in the end i decided and ordered a set of MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 2 if i made the right choice the future will tell ,i will let you all know how i get on with them after i scrub them in,,,thank you
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

BT45's are excellent tyres, i had a set on my XJR400 and are one of the top tyres ive ever had on a bike. Used to ride that thing like a loon and not once did those tyres let go, ever.
raul

Post by raul »

today I've been riding on the new tyres and already a difference even they not scrubbed in yet , will let you know how they improve after few miles more
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Caz »

glad to hear your noticing an improvement! :excited
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2

raul

Post by raul »

They are well worn in now and so much better feed back and awsome grip wet or dry i also tensioned the preload on the forks a bit because they were bottomed out. Now i got just under a inch before reaches the bottom,