Loose front sprocket

Moderator: Moderators

atreyu
My Bike: ZXR400

Loose front sprocket

Post by atreyu »

Hi All,

Just had my chain off to clean it and get some crud out from around the front sprocket cover.

Anyway, The sprocket is held on with a flat plate (over the sprocket) with 2 bolts through, as im sure your all aware.

The sprocket wobbles a fair bit when tightened up, if the sprocket was bolted upto the output bearing "solid" it wouldnt wobble at all!

Im a little confused why kawasaki decided to hold the sprocket on in this way (instead of a nut on the shaft), what can I do about the wobble? The splines are slightly worn but nothing major, its just the fact of that stupid plate allowing it to move around.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Loose front sprocket

Post by CaNsA »

I had the same panic thing last year.

Its supposed to have a bit of play in it, something to do with reducing stress on other parts.
Some-one else will either strike me down in a blaze of glory or will back me up like a gangsta in the hood :D
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

YOU DA GANSTA

The teeth on the splined washer can become worn and damaged with time and miles
zxr500man
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by zxr500man »

does anyone know for sure if the l front sprocket will fit the h model,my guess is it will but not 100%.
any help much appriacated :smt003
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

yep I do know for sure........................

And yes it does fit
Big Al
My Bike: kawazaki zxr400

Post by Big Al »

know it's been a while since posts about wobbly front sprockets but thought would share this just in case it helps. Recently changed front / rear sprockets and chain on my L3. I did have a wobbly front sprocket that "knocked" when the bike was being pushed ie in the garage and smooth up changes were becoming a real hit and miss affair :smt009 . However, this has been cured with the new cogs :smt003 . Found the female splines (the ones in the sprocket) were slightly worn. The locking plate splines were not worn, but this plate only stops the sprocket moving along the output shaft by being slightly miss aligned with the splines on the shaft once it is bolted up (8.5Nm in manual with NO thread lock). If your front sprocket wobbles then i recommend you get a new one.If your lockin plate looks worn, get a new one as it wont do it's job. Also check the surface the cog sits up agains for any wear / damage, the cog does not sit against the output shaft oil seal! slack or over tight chain and miss-aligned rear wheel will contribute to front sprocket wear, along with shed loads of wheelies !!!!! :excited
This is my new set up: 14T front / 46T rear / Tsubaki 520 ORG 110 Link chain (wheelbase virtually unchanged) - Adds 1000rpm in 6th ie. 70mph = 8000rpm top end looses about 12mph but midrange is vastly improved (not difficult) and makes overtakes alot brisker