Chain and sprockets

Moderator: Moderators

Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Chain and sprockets

Post by Jeppo »

Did a quick search but couldnt find what i was looking for!

There is far too much slack in my chain, it actually will touch the swingarm comfortably!! There are 2 more notches left on the adjustment thingy, but its looking a bit groggy, as is the rear sprocket, so i think all 3 need to be changed??

Is this an easy job? Do i need any special tools? i.e. one of those chain breaker kits? As reading the manual there is no mention of this...

I would most likely go for an O - ring chain, where do you lot source your C+S's from? Obviously don;t wanna skimp on these things, but I am a student after all - Beer or Bike that is the question :smt003
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Chain and sprockets

Post by masterofinsanity »

ok, you need to change all 3 in 1 go otherwise you are wasting your time. as your not a fully paid member to benefit from discounts :smt003 motorcycle products.com, wemoto, ebay, m&P, demon tweeks, busters etc etc etc and as for a special chain tool, no way, a pair of mole grips, ball pein hammer and a spare 6mm nut is all thats needed.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

and an angle grinder to cut through the old one :smt003

you may be lucky and find the chain on there has a spring clip, in which case its easy.. if you get a chain with a choice of spring clip and rivet link, fit the spring clip, then (if of a paranoid disposition) take it to a local bike mechanic type place and ask them nicely to fit the rivet link. Last time i did this they chucked me the chain breaker and told me to bring it back the next day = RESULT !

although, on the whole i trust spring clips, and have only ever had one fail when i was daft enough to run a worn renthal race chain dry on a long rideout (300 miles +), and even then it didnt cause an incident, the clip and plate just fell off whilst stationary at some traffic lights in Nottingham.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

get out !! spring clips shouldn't be used on anything above 125cc.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

got one on mine now .. used 'em for years.

had a paranoid period after the race chain incident (was actually a series of incidents, lost half a dozen clips!) and rivet linked everything, but its a pain, and i'm back to not bothering again.

i've had chains snap, (and thats bloody scary at 100mph+) but its never been the spring clip thats gone (i normally forage them out of the fast lane whilst awaiting the AA, even re-fitted one with a spare spring clip i happened to have in my jacket.. so there were two of them in it)

though, i'd probably put a rivet link on the 600
Last edited by zimm on Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

thats the difference between me and you and boyzone and mad max :smt003
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

lol

I have no idea what you mean :smt017

I think i need more wine :excited
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

lol i think i need more whisky who the f*ck is boyzone??
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

masterofinsanity wrote:thats the difference between me and you and boyzone and mad max :smt003
your words not mine !
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

I had a split link come out in France on the GPZ and result in a 400 mile round trip to get a new one, so my confidence in split links is a bit low at the moment. I've just changed the C&S on that one and rivetted it together (well, kinda - I did it with a hammer 'well enough' and rode it to work, I'm going to finish the job off at lunchtime with a mate's chain tool.

Changing the sprockets you just need a socket set - Think it's 8mm for the front one and 14 for the rear. Plus of course the tools/stand to get the rear wheel out.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Jeppo »

Right my D.I.D chain and sprockets turned up 2day.
Baz could i have a quick run down of how you replace the chain using the tools you mentioned earlier?
Cheers
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

easy mate pop your chain and sprockets on, stick the link in with the o-rings, pop the side plate on best you can then get a small nut big enough to go over the pins, 1 at at a time squeeze the sideplates together with mole grips over the end of 1 pin and the nut, do this alternating between pins to get the side plate on evenly until enough pin is showing through to pein it over with a hammer.
Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Jeppo »

Cheers mate, that sounds simple enough. Should the nut go over both pins, or just one at a time?
And also what does pein mean? lol.
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

id assume it means to round the edges off so the plate doesnt slip off. like a mushroom.
Quicker Than Yngwie

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

yeah the nut goes over 1 pin at a time that means a small nut lol, and pein means to pein the rivet over to stop the sideplate comin off, use a ball pein hammer.