Chain tension - too tight?

Moderator: Moderators

xfon123

Chain tension - too tight?

Post by xfon123 »

Basic question I know but its the first time I've done this. Chain was too loose and as per owners manual I have adjusted so when you push the chain up there is 10mm gap between it and the swingarm.

To me that seems tight and the chain is now rubbing on the plastic strip it sits on on top of the swing arm. Is this correct or do I have the chain too tight?

Cheers
CarneyUK

Re: Chain tension - too tight?

Post by CarneyUK »

Did you spin the chain and find the tight spot and tighten from there. If you can lift the wheel off the ground then spin the back wheel checking the chain (push it up to find the gap). If you find the tightest part is at the correct gap then you should be ok. If as you check you find that the chain goes way to tight at a certain point then you may have tightened it wrong.

If I remember correctly mine used to rub on the plastic at the top of the swingarm.

Hope this helps.
xfon123

Post by xfon123 »

Thanks mate yeah I did do that. Thing is where the chain sits it's only about 15 mm below the swingarm anyway so it's damn tight but you can push it up 5mm just feels like it's really tight. Therefore it's then about 10mm gap.
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

To be honest that sounds way to tight to me. You can only move it 5mm with your finger?!?!
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

ye sounds a bit tight to me as well, as dont forgot some of the 'slack' on the chain gets taken up when you sit on it and ride it because of the weight i would personally loosen it off a bit.
i think its better to have it a little bit loose rather than too tight
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

leave it as it is, it'll bed in ;)

Only kidding :)
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400 track, vfr800 road

Post by Davw »

I thought that a basic rule of thumb was that a chain should have a total of 20-30mm movement (top to bottom) ir +/- 10 - 15mm when measured at the mid point between the rear wheel and the front sproket. I normally go on the lower end of that - around 20mm movement
Fatspanner Racing/[/size][/color]
Smeagel13
My Bike: ZXR400 L1 UK

Post by Smeagel13 »

I can hear a knocking noise coming from my chain too, well I'm pretty sure its my chain, adjusted my chain a few hour ago, and it was still there :( I'll have a good look later for any tight spots and maybe re-adjust it, but also when I change down gears, the shift is smooth, but changing up it can sometimes REALLY snag the chain as it goes in, that can't be good on the chain! Any ideas? Cheers :)

Oh and the chain is the tension it says in the manual, 20-35mm!
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

Lube the fecker!

and maybe check your bearings...
Smeagel13

Post by Smeagel13 »

Well it's had generous amounts of lube! I'm gunna get it off the ground someday this week and see if I can get it to make a noise there and then...
Smeagel13

Post by Smeagel13 »

Found the problem, it's not the chain, my front sprockets loose...