Weird Noise/Sensation

Moderator: Moderators

diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Weird Noise/Sensation

Post by diesel »

ok, this isnt for a zxr400 but my zx7r. i thought id ask here as its been the best place for help over the years.

ok,im thinking its probably the chain but when sat riding with the throttle just open, cruising along, 30mph or 70mph etc i hear a flapping,tapping noise and can feel a thumping through my foot pegs. and it seems to alternate tween left and right peg as im moving. it doesnt do it at standstill.

thus i think its the chain but its tensioned correctly and its really bugging me.

any ideas guys.
Quicker Than Yngwie

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Weird Noise/Sensation

Post by RedexRobB »

Never had that on mine when i had it. Can only imagine its either the wheel or swingarm bearing myself. The flapping noise may just be the chain anyway, does the knocking sound coincide with the flapping sound?
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

yea it does. i thought it may be a loose sidestand so i repaired that as it was loose, if i accelerate it goes away then as i get to cruise it starts knocking again. i checked the front sprocket and thats tight, i had new tyres 3 weeks ago and the bearings were fine when i checked them as i did the wheels meself.

ill re-adjust the chain later and see what happens.would be nice to see the chain as im moving but its a bit hard lol.
Quicker Than Yngwie

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

could well be the chain if it has some tight spots? check the chain in several places and i don't mean london, bristol & scotland.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
stug
My Bike: Yamaha R1

Post by stug »

masterofinsanity wrote:could well be the chain if it has some tight spots? check the chain in several places and i don't mean london, bristol & scotland.
:pmsl :pmsl
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

turns out the chain was too tight. i thought it would have been other way round? weird.
Quicker Than Yngwie