master cylinder?

Moderator: Moderators

missinNZ1
My Bike: zxr400 L2 uk mod

master cylinder?

Post by missinNZ1 »

looking at front upgrade and am wondering what "19x20" size is and more to point what is correct for zxr 400. cant find a mention of this number in manual.
SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Re: master cylinder?

Post by SOILZX »

I'm not 100% sure, but i believe "19x20" means the bore of the cylinder (being 19mm) and the lever ratio (20), which on some models can be adjustable (18/20).
I believe the standard m/c has a 14mm bore? (again, not 100% sure). As for upgrades, it depends what its use will be and what calipers your using, i know a few people on here upgrade to a ZX7R m/c.
Obviously, the bigger bore the m/c, the more fluid it can shift, giving a better feel and stronger performance. I'm looking at upgrade options meself and to be fair, looks like i'm gona go with the ZX7R cylinder (just cant stretch to a Brembo :smt010 )
Hope this helps
SOILZX
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
Definitive mechanics toolkit: A hammer and a condom,
If it can't be fixed with a hammer, f*** it!!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I've got a ZX10R radial master cylinder on one of my bikes...................slightly tricky to fit cos the hoses and banjo bolt end up very close to the fork leg and it took a bit of fiddling round with the switch gear.......................... but works a treat with standard ZXR400 calipers
SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by SOILZX »

Must admit i've thought about using a ZX10 m/c, thats another option if one comes along cheep enough. I thought about the 7R one mainly because of how cheep they are, can be had for like £30 on egay, where as the ZX10 eem to be nearer the £100 mark. Are the ZX10 cylinders all the same, or is there is 1 from a particular model that you would recomend?
Cheers
SOILZX
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

SOILZX wrote:Must admit i've thought about using a ZX10 m/c, thats another option if one comes along cheep enough. I thought about the 7R one mainly because of how cheep they are, can be had for like £30 on egay, where as the ZX10 eem to be nearer the £100 mark. Are the ZX10 cylinders all the same, or is there is 1 from a particular model that you would recomend?
Cheers
SOILZX

I've no idea what model ZX10R it came off I just saw it on ebay and bought it...................I think the problem with one off the 750 might just be that it would be older and have more wear/miles on it....................

Funnily enough I have a friend who raced a ZX10R and he hated the standard master cylinder and fitted a Brembo one.....................he said the seals leaked/passed and left him with no brake..........................................................I've had no such problem
SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by SOILZX »

I have a mate who has a ZX10 on the road and he hated it aswell, so binned it favour of a Brembo, have asked if i can take it off his hands, but he wants to keep it for when he gets rid of the bike :smt009
If i can find 1 cheep enough, i think this could be a better option, as you say a 7r cylinder is more likey to have wear and tear, lets see what santa can fit through the letter box winks
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

don't think the brembo will fit cos it hits the clocks, what's wrong with the original? zxr400 brakes IMO have always been mint!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by SOILZX »

To be fair, the brakes on my first 1 seemed ok, the brakes on the 1 i've got now are shite!! I came across some freshly rebuilt 6 pots cheep, so thought i'd give them go (and i love the look of 6 pots!!)
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

6 pots are shite mate!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by SOILZX »

Had a set on my old gixxer srad and after a rebuild they were sound. I'll be keeping the standard calipers so if there shite, i'll rebuild the originals and slap them back on. Just see how it goes eh.
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Funnily enough I have a a standard master cylinder and caliper set up that sits in a box cos they are crap and all attempts to sort them have failed..................strange
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

masterofinsanity wrote:6 pots are shite mate!
They really aren't. They're a bit tricky to bleed properly, which is why people give up with them and blame the calipers...
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

well i have 6 pots on my TL and they have been complety rebuilt several times and are still crap, new m/c rebuild kit is next on the list.
Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by Wabby »

If you want better brakes, just bolt on some gixxer 6 k1/k2/k3 4 pots - absolutely AWESOME!
missinNZ1
My Bike: zxr400 L2 uk mod

Post by missinNZ1 »

forgot id even posted this and just had a read through, nicely poached!!!
am still looking around.