Front Caliper Types H J L ??????

Moderator: Moderators

jay-ninja
My Bike: Zephyr 550

Front Caliper Types H J L ??????

Post by jay-ninja »

Hi everyone,

I'm not strictly a ZXR owner, but I have just bought a Zephyr 550 that has a ZXR front end. Problem is the brakes have seized and I reckon it's going to be cheaper to buy a second hand set of calipers from fleabay.

My calipers I think are from an L model, they look like these;

What I'd really like to know is can I fit the earlier (?) type as well (see below) or will this type not fit - if not why vsad

Any advice or help on how to get some brakes on my bike is very much appreciated. Here's the bike for anyone interested.

cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Front Caliper Types H J L ??????

Post by cargo »

I'd disagree with your assertion that some second hand calipers off fleabay will be cheaper.................

Just overhaul the ones you have.................they are siezed because of crossion in the seal groove...........or at least I'm prepared to bet thats the problem...................some elbow grease which costs nothing and a seal kit and you'll be sorted..................
jay-ninja

Post by jay-ninja »

Elbow grease is not a problem. Trouble is the pistons are siezed in the calipers and I don't know how to budge them - I don't have a compressed air kit at home either.

Also one of the bolts that secures the two halves together is completely rounded off.

I figured that to take these to a dealer to get them to remove the pistons and the rounded off bolt would most likely set me back £65 then new seals £25 so I could be into £100 all told ?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

You've plucked a figure of £65 from thin air like you just made it up.............................??? ??? ?? ? ??
You could nearly post them to me and I'd remove the pistons for you and send them back for that price it's about 2 minutes work

Even with no compressor the pistons can be got out by pumping them out and it couldn't be that hard to find somewhere that has a compressor and an air supply you could borrow for a minute or two.

As for the rounded bolt you dont need to split the calipers to refurb them

And what makes you think some second hands ones from fleabay will be any better ? ? ? ? But hey it's your money
jay-ninja

Post by jay-ninja »

Apologies, I think I've irritated you you.

Your right that figure of £65 is a little plucked out of thin air.

You make a good case for doing them myself - Just worried I'll spent loads of time and still mess it up. But, maybe your right and I shouldn't give up so easily.

Right, so who's got a compressor then !
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Thats the spirit...................... get stuck into it................if nothing else you'll learn..............
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

jay-ninja wrote: Right, so who's got a compressor then !
depends where you are ..

back to your original questions though ..

H and L calipers are interchangeable .. but use different pads to each other, J (SP) models use the H calipers, which are also used on early ZX6r's
jay-ninja

Post by jay-ninja »

Can anyone tell me which pads fit what type of calipers.

i.e from the pics above what type of pads should I order for the type fitted to the green zxr above ?

Thanks,
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

EBC part numbers are;

FA158 for H calipers
FA180 for L calipers

(HH suffix for err .. HH pads)

your bike has L calipers, the green one has H calipers.