Sintered Pads Anyone?

Moderator: Moderators

Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Sintered Pads Anyone?

Post by Tirpitz »

Been reading on another (inferior, natch :smt002 ) forum that sintered pads can seriously increase disc wear on some OEM discs. Anyone had this problem with the ZXR discs or are they safe? What are sintered pads anyway, and why are they better (are they better ?) than un-sintered?
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: Sintered Pads Anyone?

Post by Mori Man »

OEM pads have metal fragments in them (sintered) that eat into discs and give good breaking - already seeing the tell tale signs on mine after only 2,000 miles of use ( I fitted OEM pads on rebuild).

In the past I always Ferodo pads as they aren't sintered , they are also good for breaking but don't last as the pad is eaten by the disc.

Nowadays you have Kevlar and these HH pads etc....

I use Daytona Red pads in the ZRX and they feel great , don't seem to be eating the discs too :smt001 Almost on the verge of getting them for the ZXR as not ready to buy new discs yet ! :smt005
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Tirpitz »

So it's true then MM.

I've always used Ferodos too. I don't mind the pads wearing out rather than the discs :smt002 And I'm not that bothered about the mileage from the pads (within reason), I'm more interested in them doing the business when I have a little miscalculation :smt003

The pads I have in the front now are Ferodos and I wouldn't mind replacing with the same (non sintered) when they wear out. They've been in there a long time mind you as a result of the storage. No problems with them, I just mean that I doubt I'll get the same next time, they've probably been discontinued. I'll have to see what their current range is for the bike.

Noticed they have a CP211 racing pad. Not sure if that's sintered, it doesn't say (which maybe means it isn't).

Am guessing those Daytona Reds are a Japan market item? I can find them but not over here.
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
Nitron Sport shock
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Tirpitz »

Have just spent some time working out what Ferodo have available currently for the bike. Tip - don't trust the Ferodo website, it gives an incorrect pad number for the L4 onwards :smt013 The correct pad code is FDB741, which is the equivalent to EBC FA180.

The only choice in this pad is the Platinum, which non-sintered :smt001 From their performance graphs this would appear to give less friction than the sintered ST pad - but then I guess you can't have it both ways. As you're not going to get a sintered Ferodo pad anyway you would have to go for EBC etc. if you really wanted sintered and particularly enjoyed replacing brake discs :smt002

Will probably give the Platinum a go in due course. Still got the OEM in the rear but I only use that gently anyway, so it will probably outlast the bike.
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
Nitron Sport shock