removing pistons from calipers

Moderator: Moderators

hollingsbee#54
My Bike: tomos moped

removing pistons from calipers

Post by hollingsbee#54 »

My front brakes are binding quite alot so ive decided to clean the calipers out. I know its a bit of a rookie question but whats the proper way to remove the pistons from the calipers. Also can anyone think of another reason why they might be binding so much.
Rob Hollingsbee Superbike 400
zxr400er

Post by zxr400er »

Becuase they are dirty?

Best way to remove pistons is by pumpimg the level until they are all on the edge of coming out then pull them all out with your fingers (well that's how I do it!)

I just did my rear brake as it was totally siezed. Burnout in sand are not wise! :smt003
hollingsbee#54

Post by hollingsbee#54 »

cheers mate will give it ago :smt001
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

You can use an air compressor to push them out but dont get your finger in the way! This happened to a friend of mine, needless to say it F***ing hurt!

Have you tried cleaning the pistons first? You can just push them out a few millimetres and clean em with some brake cleaner, then see how they are after that. Its only a half hour job and could save you the hassle of a rebuild.

They might be binding because the seals have had it, they may have got contaminated with something and caused the seals to swell. Or they could just be old. Youll probably have to change them anyway when you get em apart.
hollingsbee#54

Post by hollingsbee#54 »

Yeah I tried just cleaning then while they were still in but no joy. Im just going to have to do the long process of taking them out one by one :smt012 . Yeah I think in going to replace the seals cos they are looking on the worn side. Cheers
400hnutter

Post by 400hnutter »

I dont know if this link will help but try this site for cheap parts they saved me a packet when i did mine!

http://www.wemoto.co.uk
who needs knees when you have toes.