EBC disc fitting problems

Moderator: Moderators

hendo1990
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L9

EBC disc fitting problems

Post by hendo1990 »

Hi

I've recently bought a set of EBC discs for my L9 and I am having some trouble installing them.

The problem is that the discs do not sit central in the callipers which stops the wheel from moving. Do the discs need spacers to allow them to run central in the calliper?

Many thanks

John
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: EBC disc fitting problems

Post by Tirpitz »

No.

Presuming you have got the right discs which match the model (because H discs are different from L discs). And presuming everything was fine with the old discs you took off.

The discs, being new, are probably thicker than the ones you have taken off, so firstly you will need to push the pistons right back into the calipers. Do this with the brake fluid reservoir cap off (do it SLOWLY with a rag around it) and remove excess brake fluid with a syringe as required. Once you've got the pistons right back in put the calipers back on and pump your brakes to move the pads up to the new discs. Be careful as you do this to make sure the brake fluid reservoir does not run empty - top up with fluid from your syringe as you go. When you've done you should have your reservoir fluid level about halfway between the max and min levels. Put the top on and everything should be fine.

If something is still wrong you need to be talking to the people you bought the discs from, cos obviously they're the wrong ones.

Let us know how you get on.

TBH I'd have gone for OEM.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: EBC disc fitting problems

Post by Mori Man »

Offset on the discs is the same for most Kwak bikes using them , zrx1100,1200,GPz, Zephyr etc..... just the patterne changes on discs holes and the carrier hubs.

H = 300mm diameter
L = 310mm

Offset is same as you can fit 310 to H and use 310 adapters on calipers.

Only spacers used on the discs are the plastic ones between disc and wheel to stop sweating that causes alloy oxidization as the older carriers are steel.

OEM discs are made by Sunstar who have supplied to all the Japanese manufacturers since about 1969 and they make their own range to fit too with alternative patterns on discs like slit cuts :smt007 When my discs go I will be getting them for sure :smt004

Haing thicker discs than OEM wont cause misalignment so pushing the pistons back in wont cure them not being centred , you could feesibly use extra plastic spacers if your only talking baw hairs - assuming the need to be moved further out from wheel.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly