Identification of calipers

Moderator: Moderators

Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Identification of calipers

Post by Ewetea »

I bought a front brake master cylinder, braided hoses and Tokico calipers off e-bay for my L1. Having compared them with the old units there are differences. The master cylinder bore is 16mm (14mm for the old unit), and the pistons in the calipers are 30mm dia (27mm old). I want to buy some new seals, but need to know what model these brake parts are from. Are these from a later model? Anybody have any information? Comments appreciated as always. I can't refurbish the old units as the piston seal grooves in the calipers are corroded.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Identification of calipers

Post by RedexRobB »

have you got a picture of old and new?
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Ewetea »

No photos. Actually they look exactly the same from outside, the calipers being marked Tokico. It was only when I dismantled them that I discovered the difference in piston diameter, and then took an interest in the master cylinder. Since writing this I have been in touch with Cradley, and they suggest that the calipers may be from a ZXR400N import or a KR250C. I'll update the situation when I know more. That's the down-side to buying stuff from e-bay!! Thanks for the interest.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Ewetea wrote: I can't refurbish the old units as the piston seal grooves in the calipers are corroded.

Are they that bad that can't be cleaned? It's very, very common for the seal housing grooves to get full of corrosion crud on calipers from any bike and they clean up with a brass brush - you can buy one of those for brushing suede shoes from most hardware shops for about a quid. I've never seen a caliper that badly corroded that it was impossible to clean it up.

If the Ebay seller stated specifically that those calipers were from an L you've been mis-sold. Why don't you demand a refund and if he won't play ball open up a dispute?
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Ewetea »

"To be perfectly honest" (I've heard many people say that, and often wondered how much more honest that is) it was the braided hoses that I wanted - the calipers and master cylinder were just bonuses. The hoses have been fitted to my bike, so I can't really complain that I didn't get what I wanted. I just thought that larger diameter pistons would mean more braking power, but I realise that I shall need the larger supply of brake fluid provided by the larger diameter master cylinder. I'll have to keep looking for the seals. Thanks for the comments.