Rear brake question

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Rear brake question

Post by banner001 »

My rear caliper is completely seized, and the ceramic bit on top of both pistons crumbled my hand when i removed the pads...so the pistons are of no use any more.

Firstly i will be buying a replacement caliper from ebay, so dont all jump on us at once, but can i (from a legal standpoint) run the bike with no rear brake?

And before the call of "they only cost £40 on ebay" im currently spending ~£250 on the engine, £200 for new downpipes, £100 in brake seals, £50 in brake lines, £25 for master cylinder internals...so im not exactly full of cash, plus if i replace the rear caliper i will get a rear master cylinder kit and also replace the brake lines with steel braid, so im looking at over £100 to do the rear.

I will probably just put the dead caliper on the back so it looks complete (and to give the torsion arm something to grab onto), but still, is it illegal to run with only front brakes?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Rear brake question

Post by CaNsA »

You can, but if you get pulled you will be in the toad.

A rear brake is a must for the MOT.
MOT = Being roadworthy
No Rear Brake = No MOT = Not Roadworthy = Bike seized/towed/thrown on the back of a flatbed.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

You can, but if you get pulled you will be in the toad.

A rear brake is a must for the MOT.
MOT = Being roadworthy
No Rear Brake = No MOT = Not Roadworthy = Bike seized/towed/thrown on the back of a flatbed.

FYI i had no meat on my rear pads, pins had seized, had to replace the cailper.
Took a week for it to arrive though.
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

yeah that sounds like mine, ive had my big 1 tonne mole-grips on the pistons and i cant budge them, ill stick them on ebay for £5 see if anyone wants them for scrap?

and ive just checked, any bike registered after 1st jan 1927 needs to have 2 means of stopping, i.e front and rear brake. well its a dead caliper then for the time being, ill get a new one at some point.
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

You can half that brake line cost: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-ZXR4 ... 45fded7bfb
They're what I've got on my bike and have not had any problems, genuine Goodridge, not quite sure how they do them so cheap though :?:
Last edited by MrLuke on Sun May 20, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

MrLuke wrote:You can half that brake line cost: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-ZXR4 ... 45fded7bfb
They're what I've got on my bike and have not had any problems, genuine Goodridge, not quite how they do them so cheap though :?:
lol..... what?
bit of a random post

MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

CaNsA wrote:
MrLuke wrote:You can half that brake line cost: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-ZXR4 ... 45fded7bfb
They're what I've got on my bike and have not had any problems, genuine Goodridge, not quite sure how they do them so cheap though :?:
lol..... what?
bit of a random post
Aye well if it helps a member save some money then why not :smt003
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

He hasnt got problems with brake lines......
He is replacing his caliper
buy braided lines would only increase the price.

confuddled

And fyi, there are some braided lines in the classifieds

banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

i dont have "problems" with the brake lines...but they are 18 years old...so i guess a refresh would be in order :D

gonna do the fronts first, get back of holiday and rebuild them, fresh seals with red rubber grease, silicone grease for the pistons, ive cleaned out the orange sludge (looked like slightly dry dark orange jelly...) from behind the piston, and removed all the dried-in crap in between the seal grooves, front brakes are gonna feel amazing :excited .

i had to give them almost full pull to stop the bike before, and with the missus on the back i was pulling them all the way into the bar, they were bled fine, but just so full of crap etc...that they were useless. oh gonna stick new pads on as well and might look at new disks in the not too distant future...
MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

banner001 wrote:My rear caliper is completely seized, and the ceramic bit on top of both pistons crumbled my hand when i removed the pads...so the pistons are of no use any more.

Firstly i will be buying a replacement caliper from ebay, so dont all jump on us at once, but can i (from a legal standpoint) run the bike with no rear brake?

And before the call of "they only cost £40 on ebay" im currently spending ~£250 on the engine, £200 for new downpipes, £100 in brake seals, £50 in brake lines, £25 for master cylinder internals...so im not exactly full of cash, plus if i replace the rear caliper i will get a rear master cylinder kit and also replace the brake lines with steel braid, so im looking at over £100 to do the rear.

I will probably just put the dead caliper on the back so it looks complete (and to give the torsion arm something to grab onto), but still, is it illegal to run with only front brakes?
What part of that didn't you get CaNsA? :-?

Oh and no more random than this post tongue
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13685
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

MrLuke wrote: What part of that didn't you get CaNsA? :-?

Oh and no more random than this post tongue
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13685
Yeah....., well...... FU
And that thread aint random is forged sex

MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

CaNsA wrote: Yeah....., well...... FU
And that thread aint random is forged sex
:smt058