zxr 400 h1

Moderator: Moderators

ZXR400PROJECT
My Bike: zxr 400

zxr 400 h1

Post by ZXR400PROJECT »

hi there, need help my front brakes were were spongy n crap so i replaced them thinking they would be sharp at braking but no there were still spongy so I blead the brakes n there still spongy, I did it like this vid but did not have that bleed nipple near my leaver at 2.10, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkxcQzhgJLU , Whats wrong thx
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: zxr 400 h1

Post by RedexRobB »

What did you replace exactly?

Have you got the splitter? Thats where the single line from the master cylinder splits into two to each caliper. They are pretty prone to getting air stuck in them and are a shitter to bleed. You can try unmounting from the yoke and turning it vertically so the bubbles can move.

And you are remembering to keep the fluid topped up in the reservoir??
ZXR400PROJECT

Post by ZXR400PROJECT »

RedexRobB wrote:What did you replace exactly?

Have you got the splitter? Thats where the single line from the master cylinder splits into two to each caliper. They are pretty prone to getting air stuck in them and are a shitter to bleed. You can try unmounting from the yoke and turning it vertically so the bubbles can move.

Yes keeping topped up doing vids on all now
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

as rob said, if you have the splitter so it goes lever-master cylinder->splitter->2 lines one to each brake caliper, then remove the bolts holding it in, turn it slightly so any trapped air can work its way out and try it again.

if not, are you getting air, or is everything just spongey, could it be something else? old lines, leaking seal, knackered master cylinder?

if you want to bleed like in your video at 2:10 then you can crack open the banjo bolt where the master cylinder is (by your brake fluid reservoir), but you wont see any air and it can be difficult to ensure that you dont let air back in.

Failing that you could look at a "2-line race setup" set of braided lines, a lot easier to bleed.

Or look at getting a banjo bolt with bleed nipple (£6-£30 depending on if it is connected to 1 or 2 brake lines).
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ZXR400PROJECT

Post by ZXR400PROJECT »

Here is the clip of my brakes plz look at this 1 n my other posts thanks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQVMKC_qtWs
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

hmmm they look pretty bad, i know i wouldnt be riding it like that...where in the country are you?

if you take off the brake fluid reservoir cap and pull the lever in fully do you get air bubbles coming into the fluid reservoir. looks like all you are doing is compressing air (which is compressible), could be that your master cylinder needs new internals?
ZXR400PROJECT

Post by ZXR400PROJECT »

RedexRobB wrote:What did you replace exactly?

Ill try that n i replaced the brake pads only, so take the 2 bolts of where the splitter is n put vertically n bleed like that then put back on ?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

yeah, for you to get that much lever movement you must have loads of air in there, as its an old bike, i would be tempted to get rid of the old brake lines, split open the calipers and give them new seals and a good clean out, refresh the internals in the master cylinder as well.

have fun :D

oh and if you go down that route you will be looking at ~£150 for lines, seals and and master cylinder rebuild kit.