brakes

Moderator: Moderators

shifty biscuits
My Bike: zxr 400

brakes

Post by shifty biscuits »

hi, was hoping someone here could help me figure out my brake issues, im using the bike daily so dont want to pull it apart untill im sure i have all the stuff to fix it to hand.
i have two issues, firstly the front brakes although fairly powerful have an intermittent snatching issue. not always there but often when applying the front brakes the lever feels stiff so pull it a bit harder and it loosens but the extra force used causes the front brakes to snatch on really hard, very annoying when your adjusting speed slightly and you nearly lunge over the bars. i have bought some braided front lines (not fitted yet) the pads and discs are ok.
im thinking this could be a piston or maybe the master cylinder sticking? has anyone had a similar problem and found out the cause?

ok problem 2 is the back brake is useless. when pressing the lever it travels way too far and hits its limit. does work some but barely. ok i thought, a quick bleed will fix it, but i only got fluid through the back nipple (awkward one) the outside nipple yielded no fluid. would this warrant a new caliper? or rebuild? i was thinking about looking for a replacement caliper on ebay but not sure i really need to replace anything as yet.

cheers.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: brakes

Post by CaNsA »

Get a load of new seals and pistons.
Strip and clean then rebuild the brakes.

Also, get a master cylinder rebuild kit.

Only but genuine kwak parts though.

Job Jobbed!
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

Yes that problem with the front brakes snatching is your master cylinder. Mine used to do it terribly, new master cylinder fixed that
shifty biscuits

MrLuke wrote:Yes that problem with the front brakes snatching is your master cylinder. Mine used to do it terribly, new master cylinder fixed that
ah cool, i was thinking about finding one off another bike as i dont like the big resevoir. cheers for that.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

No need to pay for OEM parts for this job. Wemoto do a MC rebuild kit and caliper piston seals which I have used with perfect results on more than one bike. Sometimes pattern parts are a false economy and I don't always use them but in this case the Wemoto alternatives do what they say on the tin.

If you are getting no fluid at all through one of the bleed nipples it may be blocked, in which case remove it and clear it.

Have a look at this http://zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400oc/viewtopi ... kes#p94497 for tips on bleeding the front brake when you put it all together as if you are doing a rebuild with braided lines I can guarantee that bleeding will be a right royal PITA. These tips should get you there. For some reason the rear virtually bleeds itself, no probs.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
shifty biscuits

cheers for that mate, got all the bits together now so if i get time i'll crack on with it this weekend.