Front brakes come on whilst riding and locks wheel

Moderator: Moderators

george_258258
My Bike: zxr400 L5

Front brakes come on whilst riding and locks wheel

Post by george_258258 »

Recently I have experienced an issue with my bike where the front brake (not sure if one caliper or both) appears to come on. I will feel that the bike does not accelerate when the throttle is open, and as I close it the bike pulls foraward (like when normally braking) and comes to a harsh stop. I can not push the bike forward and have to wait about a minute or 2, until the wheel moves freely. I know it is the front wheel that will not move, and i assume it is the brake/s but this is just my best guess.

It happens at random times and there is no common pattern when it happens. It does not make a difference what speed I am going, and it is never directly after I have use dthe brakes. I have no clue what it could be and I am worried that if it happens on a very wet day then it could throw me off. So hopefully someone might have some sugestions?

Also, the calipers had 8 new pistons and seals and a new left hand disc and pads last september, and a new right hand disc in april.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Front brakes come on whilst riding and locks wheel

Post by CaNsA »

put the bike on the side stand,
pump the front brake until you can longer pump it.
pull the lever to the bar and tape it there.
leave it over night.

give that a try and let me know.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
noelb
My Bike: ZXR4H , H'Berg , BMW R12S

Post by noelb »

Is it an aftermarket lever? if so that'd be the first place I'd look. Borrow a genuine one and see if it improves things.

Noel B.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Wheel bearings on thier way out? Heating up with use and causing friction?

Check pads are releasing properly too. If they are seized chances are they are touching the disk, how hot is the disk when you pull up?
george_258258
My Bike: zxr400 L5

Post by george_258258 »

The lever is not original, but it is a patent part from weemoto, so I would have thought this would be ok?

The calipers and discs are not particularly hot when I pull up, especially if they had been sticking whilst i was driving through that.

I will have a check to see what the bearings are like.

Could it possibly be to do with the master cylinder, but if it was I would have thought they would not retract at all after braking, as opposed to any random time?
noelb
My Bike: ZXR4H , H'Berg , BMW R12S

Post by noelb »

The reason this sometimes happens with aftermarket levers is they sometimes don't let piston back to uncover the ports in the master cylinder properly. I'd still be trying a different lever myself just to see (borrowed if you can obviously). Does the lever come back enough to leave clearance at the cylinder piston? Its not hugely likely to be an M/C prob - they only have one moving part after all.