Brake upgrades on a ZX4?

Moderator: Moderators

ChristoT
My Bike: ZX4

Brake upgrades on a ZX4?

Post by ChristoT »

Evening all!

Quick question: I'm considering upgrading the front brakes on my ZX4 as they feel a tad puny. My previous bike (Yamaha FZS600 Fazer) had pretty hefty brakes, so I'm more used to that kind stopping power! Will any of the brake upgrades mentionned in the FAQ fit my bike? And if not, what should I look for?

Thanks!
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Re: Brake upgrades on a ZX4?

Post by ross46 »

You can put 4 pot nissins of a fireblade on, they'll stop you fast enough, not sure but I know the zzr600's use 4 pot nissins aswell, may be worth a look
ChristoT

Post by ChristoT »

ross46 wrote:You can put 4 pot nissins of a fireblade on, they'll stop you fast enough, not sure but I know the zzr600's use 4 pot nissins aswell, may be worth a look
Thanks Ross!

I take it this requires next to no hacking at bike parts on the ZX? It's currently completely stock, I'd like to be able to revert to that!
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

I'm not 100% on the zzr ones but cansa fitted the fireblade calipers on his
ChristoT

Post by ChristoT »

Cool, thanks! I'll have a search, see if he wrote a thread (or better, a how to!) on it!
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

just checked the messages. Fireblade calipers are a direct swap with the mounting holes the same but you have to find the right model. Cansa reckoned his were 1998/1999 fireblade calipers but you will also need the bolts as the hole size is different but you can just buy them

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokico-calipe ... 4d0c65affe

they're the babies, im looking at doing this myself at some point when funds allow. if you do can you put some info up on it? Thanks, hope this helps, Ross
ChristoT

Post by ChristoT »

ross46 wrote:just checked the messages. Fireblade calipers are a direct swap with the mounting holes the same but you have to find the right model. Cansa reckoned his were 1998/1999 fireblade calipers but you will also need the bolts as the hole size is different but you can just buy them

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokico-calipe ... 4d0c65affe

they're the babies, im looking at doing this myself at some point when funds allow. if you do can you put some info up on it? Thanks, hope this helps, Ross
If funds allow applies here too! My brake fluid is shot, which doesn't help, but I'll get that fixed next weekend.

Thanks for the advice, Ross, lots of ideas to work with there!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

replace your lines for new braided ones to stop the lines swelling under braking (can happen when they get old) as well.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ChristoT

Post by ChristoT »

banner001 wrote:replace your lines for new braided ones to stop the lines swelling under braking (can happen when they get old) as well.
I may well invest in those! Currently, the brake fluid is knacked (hauling on the front brake merely creates significant front end judder, with little to no reduction is speed! confuddled ). Hopefully, the fluid change on Saturday will cheer that up a bit! I've been on other bike forums, and everyone swears by them - I should try 'em myself, I guess! :smt002
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

I'm selling my blade cailpers...

viewtopic.php?f=178&t=15432

all bolts n toad needed included.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

ChristoT wrote:
banner001 wrote:replace your lines for new braided ones to stop the lines swelling under braking (can happen when they get old) as well.
I may well invest in those! Currently, the brake fluid is knacked (hauling on the front brake merely creates significant front end judder, with little to no reduction is speed! confuddled ). Hopefully, the fluid change on Saturday will cheer that up a bit! I've been on other bike forums, and everyone swears by them - I should try 'em myself, I guess! :smt002

For race purposes I replace brake fluid often.......................as it goes off you compensate for the dropping performance without realising
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Cheapest place for braided lines ive found is eBay, busters do a goodridge kit that you screw the fittings on yourself for £25 in the two line format, what ive got on mine
ChristoT

Post by ChristoT »

ross46 wrote:Cheapest place for braided lines ive found is eBay, busters do a goodridge kit that you screw the fittings on yourself for £25 in the two line format, what ive got on mine
Any chance of a linky?

In my case, Cargo, the bike has spent most of the last five years in storage. So the brake fuid is most certainly past its prime!! As are the tyres.... I'm also kinda concerned that I may have a warped disc on the front. I bloody hope not, that would really piss me off!
CaNsA wrote:I'm selling my blade cailpers...

viewtopic.php?f=178&t=15432

all bolts n toad needed included.
Does that include brake lines and master cylinder by any chance?
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

ChristoT wrote:Does that include brake lines and master cylinder by any chance?
The listing is for the rebuilt calipers (new seals and brembo pads) and a set of caliper bolts.

But i do have a master cylinder repair kit that i can include if they sell for the asking price.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-ZXR4 ... 45fded7bfb

There you go... And Cansa what's the asking price?