Sticky brakes

Moderator: Moderators

CarneyUK

Sticky brakes

Post by CarneyUK »

I have been having a look at my new ZXR......looks very clean now....

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/mkportal/modu ... sideon.jpg

Thing is I have noticed that on the front brakes the inside pads are worn a lot more than the outer ones. There is about 3mm on the inside pads and about 6mm on the outer pads. This is the same for both sides. The disks look fine although the outer isn't scrubbing away the same as the inside of each disk ie the outward facing part of each disk isn't as shiney as the inside.

I was thinking that the brakes may be sticking (ie the calipers) but don't know why this would be the same on both sides. I'm gonna get new pads soon as the disks are hardly worn. Would it be a good idea to get the brake calipers cleaned, new seals etc. Or if they are sticking, is there any way to free them without major surgery?
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by sloweracing »

Its a bitch of a job i stripped and rebuilt mine over winter and have nothing but trouble with them binding all new seals etc

I would dismantle them renew all seals including the interal seals and polish the pistons so there nice and shiny and clean then i would use a silkolene grease for brakes put that around the pistons and twist the pistons around as you sink them back in should be sorted the pistons should now fly out and sit back just right ----- i didnt use a grease i just used brake fluid to sink the pistons back in last night i couldnt even blow the pistons out with a air gun

Look on ebay there is a company that will sell you a reconditioned set of calipers for about £50 which i have just done and received blinding work realy well

If there wrong or sticking they can warp the disc as i found out or knock the pads back not fun on a race track :smt013

Good luck
twids

Post by twids »

mine binded so i was told to take the rubber seals out from around the pistons and then with a 90 degree point dig out the corrosion in the channel the rubber seal sits in,fine after that.
Give Peace a chance.
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

Thanks for the info. Gonna be going in to my local bike garage. Gonna cost around £60 to do new pads front and rear and he says he will sort anything else out that is needed like seals etc.

Was thinking about trying myself but just wanna make sure the bike is good for summer. Don't trust myself enough yet to mess about with brakes. Could be embarasing :smt010
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

The bike still hasn't gone in for the brakes yet. Will be going in very soon.

Was looking at the chain and sprocket aswell and I am looking at getting a new chain. The sprockets look OK, but was wondering if it is best to get new sprockets with the chain. Obviously money is tight due to just getting the bike.
Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology
My Bike: CBR1000RR4 Fireblade

Post by Gemini »

off topic, but do u know what would set your bike off a treat?....

white power coated wheels. too much green need to break it up

gem
There's No Explanation For The Way I'm About To Behave!!!
kwakbiker

Post by kwakbiker »

CarneyUK wrote:The bike still hasn't gone in for the brakes yet. Will be going in very soon.

Was looking at the chain and sprocket aswell and I am looking at getting a new chain. The sprockets look OK, but was wondering if it is best to get new sprockets with the chain. Obviously money is tight due to just getting the bike.
Always best to replace as a set, that way you ensure even wear. Try busters accesories for your chain and sprockets, usually do a dam good deal on kits :smt003
Own the best-Kawafuckinsaki
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

Or email me at the end of the race season i buy new every year im sure it would be fine we only do a few laps each month :smt003
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

I thought it would be best for chain and sprocket....expensive stuff this looking after your bike :smt002

As for the too much green, couldn't agree more. Gonna be getting the tail end put back to original colors eventually and breaking the tyre up with some tyre paint....just waiting for the first coat to dry on the Bridgestone writing :smt003