Looks like i f*cked the brake fluid change.

Moderator: Moderators

lozza
My Bike: zxr 400 h1

Looks like i f*cked the brake fluid change.

Post by lozza »

hi,

wanted to do a full change of my brake fluid front and rear, so i followed what it says in the manual which is basically just to open the bleed valve and pump the lever till nothing more comes out (no topping up the reservoir)

took me a whole bottle of brake fluid through the front callipers and one side was still giving out a tiny amount of air bubbles. brakes are ok on the front but i think the lever is still spongey to be honest. and the rear, well now the pedal has absolutely no pressure in it all, it also took a whole seperate bottle and still had air coming out at the end.

feels like i did this in a particularly sh*tty way, bearing in mind i completely emptied the whole system, how can I make sure that the whole system is now full of fluid, master cylinder etc included?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Looks like i f*cked the brake fluid change.

Post by RedexRobB »

Didnt realise the manual said to empty it entirely...

I never do because you run the risk of introducing air bubbles when refilling. Ive always used a mityvac and kept the fluid topped up. Never used a whole bottle either.

If its still the same as before id suggest tipping up the splitter if you have it, that usually traps air.
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Re: Looks like i f*cked the brake fluid change.

Post by KwakKwak »

Just read the manual and in true horrible manual style it kind of says to drain the system, but lower down it points out to keep the reservoir topped up. Like most jobs on a bike simply referring to a manual will generally give you an arseache.
Ditto on the Mityvac, you could reverse bleed the system with a big syringe, can be messy though.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.