brake pistons and the fibre bit in the centre

Moderator: Moderators

motorcyclemad
My Bike: zxr400 1996

brake pistons and the fibre bit in the centre

Post by motorcyclemad »

i know this subject has come up before i am in the process of rebuilding my calipers and had to punch a hole through that fibre disk to get them out there falling apart anyway however wanted to know how the pattern ones are and where is the best place to get them . do they come as normal pistons as i want them so i can use pistons pliers when i change the brake pads
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: brake pistons and the fibre bit in the centre

Post by banner001 »

the pattern parts are fine, the seals at least - im still using my original 50,000 mile old pistons :D

i think the pistons on wemoto are the filled variety, on ebay you can see some "cupped" ones where you can use piston pliers if necessary....

...however, for ease of use (trust me on this) spend £20 and get a grease gun and some M7x1.0mm grease gun nipples (citroen 2CV cars use them). the 8,000 psi of pressure exerted by a grease gun is way more than you can exert by pulling on them with pliers, fill the caliper with water first and then pump away, makes it into a piss easy job.

ive tried piston puller pliers, a custom made schrader valve that screws into the banjo bolt hole and a grease gun...its a quality item!
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
motorcyclemad
My Bike: zxr400 1996

Re: brake pistons and the fibre bit in the centre

Post by motorcyclemad »

i have the pistons out now i just wanted to kbow if anyone has got the ones from wemoto to see if they are the hollow ones