Front brake abso rubbish!!!

Moderator: Moderators

paologray

Front brake abso rubbish!!!

Post by paologray »

Hi doods.
My front brake is causing me some concern...
Its utter crap! There is enough meat left on the pads, and the disks are good. is it a typical problem on this bike? I seem to be pulling the lever literally for my life sometimes thinking "I'm going up the back end of this car..."
What are the main probloems? I have braided hoses and the stock tokico gold 4 pots on the front (h model), plus the back caliper sticks on when I use it so I cant use it!!
It has a few rusty bits of steel so Its obviously been left outside, just wondering if they do a caliper re-build kit... or if it would be cheaper to get some nice 6 pots... oh, and will the 6 pots fit straight on??? Is there a difference in the mounting holes between models?

Phew!

Thanks
Paul
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

sounds like they need a rebuild, a good bleed and a new master cylinder. personally i'd do that in reverse order.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Xphyral »

Just give the calipers and pistons a good cleaning.

Unbolt both calipers and pull em back off the disks, take the lid off the Fluid reservoir and pump the lever till the pistons move out a few ways, Zip tie the lever to the bar and then unbolt the calipers from the brake lines.

Undo all the bolts round the outside of the calipers to split em apart. Then using some large pliers or a wrench, pull the pistons out.

Remove the dust and fluid seals from the pots where the pistons were seated and then give the pistons and calipers a good soaking in brake cleaner and scrub till shiny.

Get yourself some silicon spray(not the bathroom sealent stuff) and put the seals back in and spray the pots and pistons, then put everything back together and bleed lines through.

Et Voila one caliper service.

Tip: if the seals are really shitty order new ones, if not just clean up and reuse.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.