Moderator: Moderators

Trash500
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Brake disk issues.

Post by Trash500 »

Just a quick question really.

I noticed the clicking sound from my front end the other day and traced it to a bunch of disc buttons which are loose on both discs.

Any looks like some sort of spring clip is missing from almost half of them.
Any idea what causes it and can it be fix or are my discs trashed.

Thanks for the advice.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

this happened to mine mate, the spring washers deteriorate, the only place i know that you can get new ones from apart from Kwak is stealth products aka trade direct they do rebuild kits, i'm thinking of getting anodised buttons for mine but £3.50 each :smt013

anyways here's the kits

STEALTH PRODUCTS
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Trash500
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Trash500 »

Nice one master thanks for that.

Do I asume from that information that the disc's are not knackerd and somehow the buttons can be replaced? Do you know if I need a special tool? I cant see how it comes apart.

Really dont want to replace the discs if i dont need to as they are in ok nick and I only did the pads 2 weeks ago.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

i'm presuming then ur rotors are not held on by circlips? the ones on my zxr400 were and i need to do the same on my gixer, i've got new rotors and buttons and circlips but my current discs are rivetted, so when you find a way of doing it let me know! :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Trash500
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Trash500 »

Update::

I spoke to pidcocks, they say kawak don't make any repair kit or sell the buttons seperately. Only thing they can get is new discs.

I tried the guys you gave me the web link for. STEALTH PRODUCTS
They were really cool. They do replacement buttons for original kawak discs. in stainless steel £2.50 each + £6.95 shipping.

They also offered advice on removing the old ones and a full refund ( ex shipping) if I dont want/ cant use them.

To remove the old ones they suggest a "gentle brushing" with an angle grinder to remove the outer edge of the rivet.

I get them in a few days and will let you know what happens.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

yeah had a look at mine today and they have washers under the rivets so i think a gentle grinding will remove them without wrecking the carriers.