Help needed with bleeding brakes?

Moderator: Moderators

bikerjodie
My Bike: tomos moped

Help needed with bleeding brakes?

Post by bikerjodie »

:smt017

Can anyone give help with bleeding my brakes on the front of the bike, both calipers are off at present and i've just put on HH pads.

Pictures with advice would be fantastic!!! :smt002

Jodie
the speed of the pack is determined by the leader!!
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

have u checked out the manuals on this site. they give a good idea of what to do. i have done mine a few times and i hate the F*****G job. i ended up sucking the fluid thru till i see it coming thru the pipe. tastes like toad if u dont pay attention.
Quicker Than Yngwie

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

my advice is keep the brake fluid away from your paintwork! and as diesel says read the manuals :smt002
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

Aye read the manuals and if you've never done it before i'd suggest alotting yourself a full day to make sure you get it done properly. it takes qutie a while to bleed fluid through the lines initially and more time spent making sure theres no air bubbles trapped in the calipers, master cylinder or brake lines.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

I did my brakes not long ago. Used loads of brake cleaner and popped one of the piston's out by accident. Managed to get it back in and then filled up the brake resorvior.

Thought I had knackered it coz it took fooking ages to get the brake lever to feel hard. Was a case of keep bleeding till it works. You will think it's taking too long then your brake will go solid. First time I used the brake I locked the front up.

Make sure you keep the resorvior topped up coz if you don't you'll send air in the top and have to start again. I did mine and haven't done brakes before so it's not that hard, just time consuming as Xphyral says.

Another good idea is a ring spanner. Saves pissing about and any chance of the spanner slipping off while the nipple is open. I also found it easier to get someone to help pulling the brake lever as I got short arms. :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Changing fluid on any of my bikes takes me about 20-30 minutes. I bought my self a mity-vac vacuum blake bleeding tool. It sucks through the fluid for you, all you have to do is keep the reservoir topped up! Dont know how to do it the old fashioned way, seems far too much hassle when you got tools that do it for you. Money well spent!
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

it only takes me about 30-40 minutes doing it manually but i change my fluid as soon as my brakes feel the tiniest bit spongy so the experience helps with the time it takes i remember the first time i ever changed fluid on a bike it took me most of the day cuz i thought nothing was happening.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

can i just offer 1 piece of advice. pls make sure they work BEFORE u go caning it. air bubbles are a bitch and they are unexpected. be careful and be sure. nanny rant over lol :smt006
Quicker Than Yngwie