Bloody brake caliper!!!

Moderator: Moderators

ross01505

Bloody brake caliper!!!

Post by ross01505 »

Hi, purchased a zxr400 l3 last wk, cracking bike with a full micron exhaust sounds great. But with every bike i buy, my dad and myself strip them down to check all the bearings and all the components and such like before letting me loose on it. Found that the bike needed a few things done to it, 1 of them being are new rear brake pads, but can get them out of the caliper as the 2 pins holding the pad in are ceased in. It seems all you do is pull out the pins as there isn't a head on the pin to unscrew it, but its seized in. And would like to know if theres any easy way of doing it,or will a small hole have to be bored at the back of the caliper to push the pin out?
Many cheers Ross
what would life be without bikes!

ZXR400 l4
GSXR Shock
CBR954 Calipers
ZX7R Master Cylinder
Full Micron Sys
Custom Quickshifter
Braided Lines
Skimmed Head
Camera Mount - Yeeha!
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

you have removed the retainer clip off the inside of the pin first?
Andy
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

hello Ross and welcome to the forum! :)

The pins should have a small R clip in them to stop them coming out, im assuming you have removed this? What i did once with a pin that was stuck, was to get a pair of mole grips on the pin and twist it till it loosened up, you can apply a bit oil too to help but dont get it round the piston seals as it wont be good for them. Alternatively you could hacksaw through.

I wouldnt drill a hole tho as the pins only have a hole at one end for the R clip. If you drill the hole then you will need a to drill another small hole for an R clip at the other end of the pin to stop it falling out.

If you havent already, clean the pistons up with some brake cleaner and use rubber grease on the pistons to prevent any corrosion forming, dont use copper grease as some types can cause the seals to swell (thats why you need to be careful with the oil). :smt001
ross01505

Post by ross01505 »

yeah ive removed the r clip, im going to try a better set of mole grips before i hack saw the pins and i dont want to drill the caliper as i dont think it would be worth the hassel. Cheers for the quick replies, and also that tip about the grease, never knew that copper grease would make the seals swell.

Cheers
what would life be without bikes!

ZXR400 l4
GSXR Shock
CBR954 Calipers
ZX7R Master Cylinder
Full Micron Sys
Custom Quickshifter
Braided Lines
Skimmed Head
Camera Mount - Yeeha!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Is the pin all rusty? Might be worth hacking through it as you might need to replace it anyway if its badly pitted, best to replace with a stainless one.

Not alot of people do know that about the copper grease, its only certain ones as far as im aware but i wont take the chance, rubber grease will do the job just as well and is specific for rubber and metal partsthat are in contact :smt001
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Xphyral »

You can drill a hole at the other end of the caliper, just make sure it's smaller in bore than the retainer pin. Then you can push a small allen key or anything else that'll fit and knock the pins out through their original holes. You dont need an Rclip on that side then

It's a really quick way of getting seized pins out.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by hciR »

What about heating it up a bit? you could heat the outside of the caliper with a heat gun (if you have one) or something. If you keep heating and cooling it, it could loosen the pin.