GSXR K1 Calipers

Moderator: Moderators

hardhat_harry

GSXR K1 Calipers

Post by hardhat_harry »

Looking to upgrade the brakes on my L model.....does anyone know if the K1 Calipers fit the ZXR as the pads are common?

Cheers.....
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Re: GSXR K1 Calipers

Post by rene »

the GSXR1000 6 pot Calipers fit the 750 and the 400 yes, you'll need to get some spacers made up though (not expensive i paid £10 for mine)

i can give you diagrams ect if you want them
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
hardhat_harry

Post by hardhat_harry »

Thanks that would be great.....

Is it all K series GSXR1000 calipers or just specific versions?

I will be using the bike as a track bike, I'm assuming that this mod will increase the braking power.

What material do you make the spacers out of I dont want them to fail at the end ofthe straight at Croft or go rusty.

Does this require a different master cylinder change, any suggestions?

Thanks for the help

Also

Do you any info on rear shocks or disks that can be used on the ZXR, I know that the ZX6R F model shock can be used and the G model won't fit but I was wondering if there was something more modern available.
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

Do you any info on rear shocks or disks that can be used on the ZXR, I know that the ZX6R F model shock can be used and the G model won't fit but I was wondering if there was something more modern available.[/quote]

They only used the 6 pot calipers on the GSXR1000 K1 and K2, Suzuki used the calipers on some other bikes but I can’t remember what they are called, sorry!

The extra braking power is awesome. As an added bonus you also get loads of feed back that the standard calipers just didn’t give.

The spacer’s don’t actually carry any load. The reason why you use them is because the 6pot's use smaller screws (as the ZXR uses M10s and the new calipers want M8s and the Suzuki bolts are not long enough) so it just fills the holes in the forks and moves the calipers out slightly so there located properly in the middle of the disk. I think mine were made out of stainless steal. I just told the machine shop what they will be used for and they gave me them!

You’ll need x4 High tensile steel bolts M8x35 or Grade 5 Titanium bolts (1.25 threads). I used steel and my bikes a lot heavier than the 400 so I’m sure you’ll get away with saving some money there to.

Then you’ll need to get the spacers, you should just be able to give any shop this diagram.

This is how mine looked when I got them,

Then with the new calipers on

Before-

After-

Id recommend upgrading the master cylinder, the ZXR750 one works well. My leaver is rock solid and does not struggle at all. But you can pick lots of different M/C’s up off eBay for next to nothing nowadays so just play around.

Any more questions let me know I’ll try help out were I can
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

looks good!! are the discs big enough for those calipers?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

the pad hangs off by the smallist amount (hardly noticable) when i've got the money i'll put some of the zx7r P model disks on as they have larger disks for the 6pots that come as standard.
ZXR750 L1

BikePics page-
hardhat_harry

Post by hardhat_harry »

It does look good but after chatting with my racer mates they think I will loose the spacers when I'm changing wheels from Drys to Wets etc... They do have a point coz I am a bit like that. So I'll look for something that doesnt need spacers for now and if there isnt anything I'll revert to these....thanks for your help
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

why would you take the caliper's off when you change wheels??

there a tight fit and if you stuck a littel bit of glue on them when fitting you'd have to work hard to get them out
ZXR750 L1

BikePics page-
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

oh and the standard zxr750 calipers fit as well, basicly just a larger version of the 400 calipers
ZXR750 L1

BikePics page-