Help me with brakes please!

Moderator: Moderators

Swedie

Help me with brakes please!

Post by Swedie »

Hiya! I gave my girlfriend a ZXR 400 to race with and we've now after a year encountered a brake issue. There is no pressure in the system anymore. And the brake lever is extremely soft and touched the handlebar.

What I've done:
I've changed ALL seals in both the calipers and also the pump have had everything inside changed, but there was zero difference and it actually sort of got worse. So I bought new brake pads, even though the current pads wasn't even half used. It didn't help either. I tried bleeding more (hours), and it's a little bit better. I've tried to follow the lines and find the airbubbles and squeeze them out. I've successfully removed a lot of air. I also use a vaccum based pump to suck fluid through the system, and gone through about 0.5 liters of brake fluid (Motul RBF600). There just cannot be anymore air in there.

What I've not done:
The only thing I have not changed, are the pistons in the calipers. But I figure, since they don't leek, they do their job. Am I correct? They are also way too expensive. They are 1/10th of the bike's value at a sale.

In action:
The brakes fade the warmer they get, and eventually... while riding the bike, the brake lever is touching the handlebar on hard braking.

Note 1:
Watching the pistons move as I press the brake lever, they travel very far, maybe 1(maybe more) mm before touching the brake discs. Upon releasing the brake lever, they travel back the same 1-2 mm distance. I am thinking, shouldn't the pads be much closer and almost touching the discs when the brake lever is not used? This is the way on my race bike (riding an aprilia rsv1000r factory bike). The front wheel on the ZXR can spin without stopping for atleast 10 cycles. On my race bike, I can hardly get 1 cycle when spinning the front wheel.

Note 2:
Something I've noticed is that if I squeeze in a wrench between the brake pads on both sides, where the wrench is almost 1 cm thick, the brake system get FULL and VERY good feel in the brake lever. The lever about stops in just 1-2 cm.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Help me with brakes please!

Post by masterofinsanity »

have you changed the master cylinder? if you have bled the brakes as much as you can then usually the master cylinder is at fault and very often overlooked.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

Swedie wrote:
and also the pump have had everything inside changed,
i'm guessing he has done the master cylinder.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

I'm assuming that you have already done this, but just incase.... Have you changed the brake lines? standard rubber lines degrade over time
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

sounds,like,warped,discs,constantly,knocking,the,pads,into,the,calipers,meaning,you,have,to,pump,them,back,up,again,before,they,can,apply,any,friction.

seriosly,need,to,sort,this,spacebar,issue
Andy
Swedie

Post by Swedie »

andy, f*** you

thanks to the rest.

erase the thread... stupid ass folks here rather bitch and moan about my use of commas than reading and trying to be helpful instead.
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Caz »

Swedie - he's not having a go at you - he seems ot have a problem, if you look at the swingarm bolt thread on free for all it will explain more

are you a Swede btw? :-)
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2

Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Northern ANdy »

Andy
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

Swedie wrote:andy, f*** you

thanks to the rest.

erase the thread... stupid ass folks here rather bitch and moan about my use of commas than reading and trying to be helpful instead.
well thats fine coming from someone thats only made 2 posts here, if you stick around you'll realise that the regulars post a lot and are the utmost helpful, we are an amazingly friendly bunch here so an apology wouldn't go amiss to Andy methinks.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Northern ANdy »

masterofinsanity wrote:
Swedie wrote:andy, f*** you

thanks to the rest.

well thats fine coming from someone thats only made 2 posts here, if you stick around you'll realise that the regulars post a lot and are the utmost helpful, we are an amazingly friendly bunch here so an apology wouldn't go amiss to Andy methinks.
ahh,give,him,a,chance,Baz,he's,only,just,got,here,besides,I,can,see,the,funny,side,of,the,situation.

(until,habbit,makes,me,use,the,space,bar,and,I,loose,a,lengthy,post.Drat.)
Andy
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Caz »

masterofinsanity wrote: well thats fine coming from someone thats only made 2 posts here, if you stick around you'll realise that the regulars post a lot and are the utmost helpful, we are an amazingly friendly bunch here so an apology wouldn't go amiss to Andy methinks.
come on mate, that's a bit harsh dont you think? It was a bit of a misunderstanding. Andy can see the funny side of it. Life is too short for arguments!

Swedie - dont give up on this place yet! the folks round here are friendly and helpful!

SO to try and sum up what was said before we got side tracked with Andys spacebar/comma issue ;-)

- if you are running standard lines, try changing those. Rubber lines deteriorate over time.
- possibly warped discs - does the lever pulse when braking? If the discs are warped, you should be able to feel this under braking.
- another one to throw into the equation - are your discs worn excessively? check the thickness of them

/Caz
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

bollox! :smt003
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Caz »

:smt005 :smt041 :smt041 :lol:

/Caz

PS im sure i can make a more pointless post if I really try :P
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2

rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

LOL at this thread!

Swedie i think you lost somthing on your way to the computer..

:smt016
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
Swedie

Post by Swedie »

I do have a sence of humor... really! it's just that he sort of hit a nerve I guess. I didn't register here to receive a bunch of jokes on my behalf. I wanted help with my brake issue! :smt012

anyhow, I solved the problem. If someone wants to know, I simply took the calipers apart and lubed pistons and seals with brake fluid. I apparently forgot to do that... now the brakes works a lot better!