Moderator: Moderators

Bestie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

rear brake caliper

Post by Bestie »

howdy diddly do zxr'ers,

i have recovered from my brief chat with the hedge, and now come across a small problem.

whilst demonstrating how nippy my bike is to a boxter, down dewsbury rd (nr white rose leeds) i applied my rear brake for the roundabout, and it made one helluva noise.

so, up on stand i stripped off the caliper and found one of the pistons (nearest the wheel) had seized,, and must have for some time as very little scoring on the disc.

my friend, no, thats too polite, my butcher friend, took a flat head to the piston and yes, got it out in under 34 mins, BUT seriously pitted it in the process.

i bought a 2nd hand one for £15, and twas rusty as russ abbotts hair, so i gave it to my local car mechanic and he used compressed air to bow it out. he's cleaned em up and they are now ready to put in the old caliper housing as its in much better nick than the 2nd hand one.

problem sorted yes, but, i have found it very hard to get a good condition caliper from anywhere my local dealer doesnt have em and cant get em, so i was wondering a few things really.

1 - is this common on this bike? and any tips on such probs?

2 - would another caliper say off a 750 work?

3 - any other help good news!

cheers.
and stay safe!
i need you all to help me in future!

bestie
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

The caliper off a ZXR750 J1 looked like an exact match to me.

The sad fact is that all bike calipers will seize if you don't strip them down every so often just before it gets this bad.... but not many of us bother....

If it makes you feel any better, Suzuki's are much much worse for it! :P

Screwdriver to get the piston out????? :shock: Nooooooooooooo!!!!! :o

lol
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

400hnutter

Post by 400hnutter »

i had the same problem. you can get a newer second hand caliper off of a suzuki bandit n600 r reg. the front calipers you can get off the 750 models and a zx6r f3 model p reg. you can evan stip them out and get a little bit (and i mean a tiny bit) of silicon grease on the bottom seal BUT NOT THE DUST SEAL. you stil need to strip them out now and then thou.
richie400ss

Post by richie400ss »

jjust keep taking the caliper off and cleaning with brake cleaner and a toothbrush

pump the pistons out a bit to get at them properly.

you may need to hold one if the other isnt budging when you press the brake pedal

they'll never seize again
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Cani just ask, were the caliper bracket bolts torqued up? When i took my ZXR out after its rebuild, i was out one night and applied the rear brake, and f*** it vibrated like anything!

Pulled over to find that one of the bolts had come out and the other one was most of the way there. First i thought summit had gone wrong with the wavy rear disk but its was just the bolts that needed torquing up. Two new bolts and some thread lock later it was fine :)
Bestie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Bestie »

all sorted now guys thanks!

managed to rip out the pistons from a cheap caliper on ebay, and now have it lovingly restored!

B