Re: Sub Standard front brake

Moderator: Moderators

c7l

Post by c7l »

Hello All,

I've got loads of travel on the front brake lever. Have eliminated the following a possible cause:

1) Bleeding. Done twice with new fluid (dot 4) and no air left in the system
2) Pads: used but plenty of life in them
3) Leaks: Master cylinder looks fine
4) Lever adjuster: set to 1 so minimum travel/slack

I've got less than an inch between the handlebars when you apply the brake and it's not up to much when you lean on it.

The discs are worn but still within MOT limits. Was just wondering if i've missed anything?? Can you get Master cylinder upgrades??

Cheers. :smt003
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

see this mate viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5851

you can replace the piston/seals & spring but it didn't make any difference to Gems.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

the calipers can be an butt to bleed if they've been emptied as air ends up hiding in places where it doesnt get forced out of the bleed nipple, take them off the bike and lay them on their side on the ground then bleed them again trying various positions for the calipers..

i went through a bottle and a half of brake fluid trying to do the brakes on an H last year till i did this.

have you got braided lines ? or OE with the splitter ? cos air gets trapped in the splitter too.. same trick, disconnect it from the bike and rotate it in whichever way seems appropriate. Also, OE lines suck and will always give a slightly spongy feel at the lever.
c7l

Post by c7l »

Braided lines with a splitter sitting in between the yokes. Will take the calipers off and give them a tap, raise them and try again. How expensive are the vacumn bleeders and are they likely to solve the problem?

Cheers.