gingernm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr400 l9

Binding brakes

Post by gingernm »

Hi,

Help/advice needed......

Just replaced discs and pads up front myself, but seem to be getting a lot of binding. How do I cure this?

Bike will be going in for a service and check over prior to MOT next week. Don't really want to pay the garage to fix something that maybe straight forward but as it is it will fail the MOT.

Had some slight rusting on the brake pistons but this has been cleaned up and all appear to be working ok.

Thanks for any offerings!

Rob.
Been there, seen it, done it...... back to a 400 ;-)
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Binding brakes

Post by RedexRobB »

Tried using some rubber grease on the pistons? Keeps corrosion at bay and lubricates them too. Otherwise the seals may have gone.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I'm sure there is a good thread on this very topic somewhere
gingernm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by gingernm »

Cheers,

Was just a bit panicky, wasn't expecting them to bind like they are, so didn't bother doing a search, just dived straight on in and posted up!

So sorry for that cargo!

Still all help and advice will be appreciated, seals will be checked first thing in the morning, as I have now had a few Stella's and would probably need new calipers if I were to touch it just now ( I left a large hammer next to the bike just to remind it who's in charge )

If it comes to it though I'll just cough up the extra ££££££ to have it sorted, would sooner get (as many as poss) 3 case's of Stella for £20 from Tesco's though!

Thanks all again, all help appreciated!

Rob.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I do know that the caliper pistons can appear clean and corrosion free yet still stick this is nearly always due to corrosion building up in the groove that the rubber seals sit in.
Only way to fix this is to remove the pistons and seals and clean the groove........I used a Dremmel with a wire brush small enough to fit in the groove. It is also possible to reuse the rubber seals if you remove them carefully and clean them in water. New ones are cheap enough as well
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

used the dremel trick meself, good for the job, dunno bout using the seals again tho, they're a pain to get back in, much easier to use new ones for the sake of a few quid.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
gingernm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by gingernm »

Thanks all....

Cleaned up the pistons which reduced the binding massively.

Play in throttle has been sorted.

oil changed....

MOT - passed with no notes!

Insurance paid for next 12 months - £112 comp with Norwich Union

I'm going to play out, anyone coming, I won't be back for hours! biggrin
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

if you have half a day spare at any time whipping your calipers off, splitting them and giving them a damn good clean, in the seal grooves, autosol and buff the pistons and taking the welded on brake dust/dirt off the inners is always the best way to fix binding. i usually do this to my calipers whenever i change brake pads and fluid since i have the calipers off anyway, may aswell do it all.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.