Urgent advice on brake lever needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator: Moderators

tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr 400 h1

Urgent advice on brake lever needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by tng21 »

Hi again fella's, right, i went to move my bike yesterday, and like a twat, i dropped the bleeding thing.

the problem i have is the lever came off, along with the bolt that goes through it. got a pic of the only things i have

Now what my problem is, is that the mrs seems to think there was a spring that came off too. Is there a spring on the lever? if so where does it go???

Also my accelerator throttle now has play in it that wasnt there before.

Please help me solve this as i need to go to work on it tommorow and dont really feel that safe using the back break only
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Urgent advice on brake lever needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by RedexRobB »

If i remember rightly theres a spring for the lever by the adjuster. when you push the lever forward it pushes on the spring and allows you to adjust the dial and returns the lever when you finish.

As for the throttle, is it the cable that has the play, or the switchgear? If its the switch gear the locating pin on the inside may have broken when the bike fell causing it to move. If its the cable i dunno why it would do that, but adjust it out and see how it goes.
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

well i had a pmn saying about the spring and managed to locate where it goes, trouble is, lost the spring and only ones we could find to fit were from a pen, which isnt very strong. obviously can be sorted but its how lose the brake lever feels, im sure there's something else missing that ment to be on there to help tighten it surely. Cant say ive ever noticed how lose it is but its looser than the clutch lever.

AS for the play, its in the throttle grip, seems to move about 2-3cm without pullin on the cable. wasnt like it before.

Where's this position thing?

Im rather stupit when it comes to knowing what im looking for
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Seems to me that the other half of the adjuster is missing too
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

heheh, the locating pin is inside the switchgear so you need to take it apart. It simply slots into a hole in the handle bar to stop it moving. But if the switchgear isnt moving around then its probably not that, but might be a good time to check it anyway and oil up the cables while your at it.

If the rubber grip is moving round the throttle tube then may just need a bit of glue.
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

hmmmmm, god i wish i knew more about these things.

took a little vid ( shite quality though ) to show how much its moving. etc

might just be a bit of glue needed but dont think it had play before

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Aha!

Brake lever looks normal, it should push forward a bit as i exlained earlier to adjust the span dial.

As for the throttle, i guess its normal when opening it? But the other way it looks like the return cable may have snapped or just needs adjusting out.
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

it does open up normally when accelerating, its just that small bit of play thats anooying me.

When letting go of the grip it does go back to its normal position so the return cable would be ok.

its just the lever feels more lose than it did, but like i said, ive never taken much notice of it before. and the play in the grip, anoying me now and makes me feel uncomfortable going out on it.

Is there a spring from something thats as strong as the origianl one as the one ive replaced it with is rather a weak one. Can still move the dial without pushing lever forward lol