noise from front end

Moderator: Moderators

ray1976

noise from front end

Post by ray1976 »

Hi all
i have a small prob with my zxr when i wheel the bike forwards and hit the brakes and the front dips it makes a metalic clic and when i push it backwards it does the same? fork seals are not leaking but it has been dropped at low speed, i have only owned the bike for a couple of weeks so any ideas would help see the ebay listing http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=006
cheers Ray
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: noise from front end

Post by RedexRobB »

Possibly the brake pads mate, soemtimes they can move about. If you can, get someone to have listen while you put the brakes on and then pull the bike back and forth.
andyvanderpandy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr400L3

Post by andyvanderpandy »

ive got a similar issue at the mo, i think it sounds the same infact

from another post:
a clicking noise. it happens when i pull the bike of its sidestand to a vertical position, and also happens when the bike comes to a stop, or if i brake suddenly. i think it maybe one the bearings in the headstock (although there seems to be no play or noise when i inspect it). is it likely a bearing could cause chatter as i brake?

http://zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400oc/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6823

theres some suggestions there, i think im going to investigate the bearings if i can figure out how to support the frone end. it prob will take me ages but ill let u know if thast the prob or not.
ray1976

Post by ray1976 »

the pads in the standard caliper seem to move around a hell of a lot is this normal, would fitting the gsxr 1000 6 pot calipers eliminate this
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

its normal, dont worry about it, some sets of pads do it more than others, they cant fall out as long as the pins/clips etc are in place.
ray1976

Post by ray1976 »

thanks for all your help will change headstock bearings and see what happens
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

put the front wheel up against a wall (so you dont need the brakes on) and bounce up n down on the forks, if it doesnt make the noise its not your headstock bearings, but the brakes.

EDIT: just followed your ebay link, and you've got crash bungs fitted, they may well be the culprit, they've done it on every zxr i've fitted them to, make sure they are proper tight and my guess is it should stop, they'll work loose if you dont threadlock 'em too.

nice bike btw, was watching that one :)
ray1976

Post by ray1976 »

yes its well sweet the engine seems to be a1 the rear swing arm has a dent in it where it has been dropped at some time but i also picked up a second hand one from the breakers today i also have a small click as mentioned, i have just fitted new pads all round today and bled all the brakes the new money pit has begun but its fun