Front Brakes

Moderator: Moderators

diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Front Brakes

Post by diesel »

Hi. quick one. what kind of travel should you be getting with the front brake lever? mine sucks and if i grab a handful i could nigh on get it to the bars. I have an old cb650 that moves half an inch and feels solid.

There are no leakes etc etc but i have bled the brakes. Maybe i didnt do it right??

Any ideas lads and lasses?
Quicker Than Yngwie

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Front Brakes

Post by masterofinsanity »

kwaks are known for soft brakes mate, unless you're prepared to replace the master cylinder for a larger one you aint gonna get em as good as your Cbs, a good strip and rebuild with new seals all round should help.if they pull back to the bars they will fail the MOT.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

yea. i did strip em etc,cleaned em up, the seals were fine. i think its a gay bleeding sesh ive done on em. i was using a one way brake bleed valve and didnt go too well. i think ill change the hard tubing for softer clear stuff to make a better seal on the nipple.
Quicker Than Yngwie

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

i've heard people use ptfe tape on the bleed nipples too to stop amy leakages around the threads, might help?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

The calipers are toad mate, thats the problem. Me and Gem have been battling the same issue for well over 6 months now. Gem replaced his MC with a brembo and is now braking like Rossi.
One life, Live it!
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

could be worn discs ?

could be not having bled them thoroughly, i've had a couple of sets of calipers which despite being bled/rebuilt always kept the pads too far from the disc at rest, so you always got a "long" lever as the pistons had to move miles. Worn discs cause the same thing.

the brakes on my race bike are nothing special (stock H calipers/discs/MC + braided lines and HH pads) and work perfect.
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

Scott221 wrote:The calipers are toad mate, thats the problem. Me and Gem have been battling the same issue for well over 6 months now. Gem replaced his MC with a brembo and is now braking like Rossi.

aftermarket posh job or an upgrade off another bike mate?
Quicker Than Yngwie

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

have a look on ebay for brembo master cylinders.
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

ok Baz. what do i need to look for exactly? i see some on E-Bay but fecked if i know what will work etc?

any hints?
Quicker Than Yngwie