Rear light / brake light problem

Moderator: Moderators

iwantazxr400

Rear light / brake light problem

Post by iwantazxr400 »

Hi, can anyone offer advice? I replaced one of the two rear bulbs on my zxr400 L9 yesterday because it was only working as a brake light but not as a tail light.
Since replacing it I seem to have no brake lights at all, even on the one bulb that was actually working! Both bulbs now work as tail lights, but no increased intensity for brake lights. What could have caused this? I believe I have got the right bulbs, should I have changed both of them? I hope this is one of those "missed something obvious" problems as I have no idea about electrics! :smt017
Any advice welcomed! :smt001
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Rear light / brake light problem

Post by masterofinsanity »

sounds like an earthing problem, have you checked the brake lights from using both brake levers?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
iwantazxr400

Post by iwantazxr400 »

Ok, i have just had another look, having now changed both bulbs I have the brake lights coming on when I use the front brake. It appears it is just a rear brake problem, I have tried adjusting the rear brake switch but that has not worked.
Does this mean it still could be an earthing problem? Could I have dislodged a connector when taking out the bulbs? If so how do i fix that? Any ideas what I should try now?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

if the brake lights come on with the front brake lever then i'd say your rear switch is faulty or needs adjusting.try pulling the spring attached to the switch see if th light comes on.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
iwantazxr400

Post by iwantazxr400 »

Thanks for your help, i will try that. Although the problem only started when I changed the bulb so I dont know how the brake switch has gone faulty all of a sudden...
andyvanderpandy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr400L3

Post by andyvanderpandy »

i noticed this week my brake light is stuck on. its defo the rear brake sensor so ive taken it off but i cant see how it ever worked!

theres the main body - a black cylinder, an internal spring, a moving rod inside and 2 connectors either side. i think im right in saying as the pedal lowers it pulls the centre rod down and it should contact the 2 plates, then the internal spring pushes it up and breaks the circuit.

but with what i took off, i dont see how it ever worked, have i dropped another part maybe?!! :smt017
it all goes back together but doesnt move very freely, and the rod definately gets no where near tocuh the connectors... or is it just that its so worn i need to replace it? :smt013
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

i bought a brand new one off ebay for £1.99, so i'd have alook a lot of them are the same, look here
andyvanderpandy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr400L3

Post by andyvanderpandy »

masterofinsanity wrote:i bought a brand new one off ebay for £1.99, so i'd have alook a lot of them are the same, look here
i didnt realise how cheap they were! i ordered a new yamaha that look identical (but prob wont be!) for 4 squids! thanks for the tip. :excited
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

i think the one on my gixer is off a zxr6 just had to use the old spring as the zxr6 was too long.