Brake upgrade / Refurb?

Moderator: Moderators

Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Brake upgrade / Refurb?

Post by Wabby »

Anybody recommend how to make my front brake better?

Doesn't seem to 'bite' until the lever is almost touching on my third and fourth fingers (Two finger braking with index and middle).
This wasn't really an issue until I learned to corner better today, which results in much more 'large gonads' moments leaving it late for the brakes, to find 'OH toad!!! I don't have any'.

Any ideas as to the best route to take? (Not that handy with a spanner, but have changed sprockets, wheels, pistons and rings on a 2 stroke before)

Cheers
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Re: Brake upgrade / Refurb?

Post by Scott221 »

RED RUBBER GREASE
One life, Live it!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

+1

get the calipers off for a good clean with brake cleaner and a tooth brush, push the pistons out about 5mm, clean up and then apply the grease to the brake piston sides, push back in, re assemble and you should be sorted.

I just noticed something funny, Redex, Red rubber grease, what next?
Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Wabby »

Do I keep the calipers attached to the brake lines while doing this?

Or remove them completely?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

I leave them on, you can take them off if its easier for you and want to change the fluid anyway, but otherwise leave em on :smt001
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

I completely stripped mine, gave them a good clean, got rid of some toad on the pistons using my dremmel, pasted everything in red rubber grease and put them back together to find out, for the first time, I had brakes.
One life, Live it!
Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Wabby »

OK. I'm gonna give this toad a go.

Does the following sound right?

Bolt off (Leave brake lines on)
Take pads out
*Pull brake lever in and tie to handlebars? (Would I need to do this to clean up as best as possible into the piston?)
Apply red rubber grease to the outside of the piston, in how much amounts?
*Release brake lever
Re-Insert pads (Or change if low - If low, which type to buy?)
Re-bolt on

Do the other side....

Please correct me where I am wrong.

Will have a bash Saturday.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Yes, unbolt from the fork leg, the caliper should squeeze out between the wheel and brake disk, just be careful not to whack your wheel!

take off the anti rattle plate by undoing the two small screws.

you dont need to cable tie the lever. Once you have the caliper un bolted, pull the lever in to push the pistons out about 5 or 6mm, but what you will probably find is only one will push out. so what you need to do first is put the long flat bit of a spanner in the gap where brake disk would normally go and place a thin bit of something either side of the that to stop the pistons coming too far out. Hope you understand that bit?

Then clean the piston sides with brake cleaner and a tooth brush till shiney, then take your red rubber grease and apply it with a small brush to the clean pistons sides, you only need a thin layer as any excess will just gather at the dust seal at the top when you push the piston back in.

Once you have pushed the pistons all the way in, apply a thin layer of copper grease on the piston tops and put a little bit in the locating hole for the brake pad pin, this stops it corroding and getting stuck in there when you come to do it next time.

at this point if you havent already, clean up the brake pad pins. Renew pads if necessary and install both at the same time with the friction pad surfaces touching each other, this stops you from accidentally touching the surfaces with greasy hands/copper greased pistons tops. Do this with the caliper on it side as its easier. Rest the pads in place and with a clean brake pad pin, insert through the first caliper hole, through the pad holes untill it locates into your freshly greased locating hole. if the pins arent in great condition, apply a really thin layer of copper grease on the pin so the pad movement is made easier.

Now, dont put the anti rattle cover back on yet! Put the caliper back on first! Do this by seperating the pads either at the bottom of the caliper or the top with clean hands, my choice is the top as you wont be touching the pad surface, hence the reason not to put the anti rattle plates on just yet, once in place pop a bit of copper grease on the small screw threads and attch the anti rattle plate back on!

Any more info needed just ask!
johntheswed
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 H1

Post by johntheswed »

I would try bleeding the brakes too. Can make a huge difference and is not hard to do.
Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Wabby »

Finally got around to doing this tonight, mainly because my front brake was sticking.

Seems to be better now (front wheel spins 3-4 rotations with a 'normal' spin) and the brakes are fully on when only a few mm pressed :excited

Will test them out tomorrow, and see if I do infact have brakes on the ZXR :pmsl
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

i used to be able to pull my lever back to the bar, i refurbed my m/c from a kit from ebay (only £21 including postage and packaging) which included new piston and new seals and clips, and changed the brake fluid of course and what an improvement i got, i found my brakes to be so much better i have loads more feel and the lever wont touch the bar anymore. i would highly recommend doing it if you dont no the history of it.just thought i would let you know as i think its well worth it if just cleaning and greasing the calipers doesnt work or they still arent great.
let us know how you get on when you ride out next