easy fix for caliper upgrade.

Moderator: Moderators

Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Re: easy fix for caliper upgrade.

Post by Scott221 »

I didnt think they'd be long enough as the sleeve wouldn't go all the way inside the holes where the calipers aline onthe fork stantions. These are bolts used on the front discs? Strength in numbers comes to mind. I wouldn't trust them in the calipers what with the forces that are going on down there.
One life, Live it!
tk400
My Bike: ZXR400 , ZXR950

Post by tk400 »

Of all areas to neglect basic good engineering principles ..The brakes are not the place.....As I said its far more complex than " they work on a 1000" there are both shear force and tension forces to consider. Fatigue...creep etc......Add to that that some caliper bolts are meant to be replaced every time the caliper comes off ( torque once bolts) . just like conrod bolts. Unless you know why a particular bolt is in a particular application, I would not compare the two situations. At least use the highest tensile strength bolt you can for that size and dont shear load the thread area. Anyway take my advice or not. But as an engineer I would never suggest using those whithout a lot more data. take it or leave it......cheers

regards TK400
zxrjohn14
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by zxrjohn14 »

not doubting your engineering skills at all tk400. and sometimes things are a little over engineered, the back brake of the zxr springs to mind.
i used spacers and bolts on my calipers and never once had a problem, and i took mine on and off several times to change wheels etc.
i agree with you in a lot of what you say, but i took my bike out on the 'suck it and see' bases and it worked. admitedly i kept looking down for the first few laps to make sure the calipers weren't hanging off!! but it worked and the same bolts are still in the bike now 3 years later.
like i say not doubting anyones profesional abilities but i genuinly think that andyvp has stumbled onto a good thing there.
:smt003
tk400
My Bike: ZXR400 , ZXR950

Post by tk400 »

fair enough, Im runnin outa breath anyway......LOL
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

The bolts will work, I've used them to mount gixxer calipers. Just a bit of a pain to drill for safety wire.
sharky
My Bike: XJR1200

Post by sharky »

I fitted the 6 pots to the wifes zzr600....easy to drill and tap the 10mm thread. Some High tensile bolts from the bolt store. Sorted.
I think the 8mm v 10mm is a no brainer.....Just imagine...at the time you REALLY need ya brakes to work well..... shocking
andyvanderpandy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr400L3

Post by andyvanderpandy »

right this easy fix wasnt so easy! the calipers i used were off a 900 fireblade and bolt on fine with the bolts previously mentioned, but the 310mm L model discs are too big! they catch the back of the caliper! gutted i was!

anyway a set of 300mm H model discs on L model forks with fireblade calipers and suki bandit bolts should fit :excited

just need a disc for the left side now to find out...