fireblade calipers for zxr 400L

Moderator: Moderators

gar.l
My Bike: tomos moped

fireblade calipers for zxr 400L

Post by gar.l »

hi,just wondering has anyone been successfull fitting the fireblade or honda calipers to the zxr 400L? i can see the 10mm bolt 8mm hole issue,is it easyer/safer to tap the calipers to 10mm and would they still have to be spaced to fit right and then will the whole set up work with the 310mm L discs,just wondering if there's any set up boffins out there that have done it and if its worth it,if i have to change the discs that means 3 sets of them.
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Re: fireblade calipers for zxr 400L

Post by jake »

simmo has got honda calipers on his racebike, but i cant find his thread...
as far as i know thats all you do to them. Ive got gsxr calipers, and i got them them tapped out to use the standard zxr bolts. then used some washers to speace them out.
truckdoctor02

Post by truckdoctor02 »

Hi,
I have done it on my bike, I tapped the calipers out to ten mm. However it will not work with the l model discs as they are slightly too big. The H model discs are the ones to use. What I done was got a set of a zx6 from the brakers which are also 300 mm but came of a 2003 bike.
simmo
My Bike: zxr400L/vfr400nc30/er5

Post by simmo »

im using L disc's with my calipers (cbr600fx)

i did file a little of the inside off though.

ill be Honda caliper bolts, instead of taping the calipers.

pics are in the 'Builds' section
gar.l

Post by gar.l »

cheers lads for the info,i have a set of cbr 600rr(03-04) calipers,there the same spec as fireblade/cbr fs x ect,they came with Ti caliper bolts 8mm,would these be stronger than standard?they say they are,they sure don't feel it.simmo,i'm goin to start trying to fit them on monday am.useing 8mm bolts what do you have to space,is it the 10mm holes in the fork leg to make the 8mm bolt fit proper or do they have to be spaced between fork leg and caliper or both or what did you end up using yourself in the end,i wouldn't mind giving this way a go before tapping 10mm holes in the calipers,if i can fit them with 310mm L discs i'll definitly go for it as i have a couple of pairs of wavey discs i spent a fortune on,did you have to shave/file back much on the caliper for clearance with the 310mm's,thanks in advance mate,gary.
simmo
My Bike: zxr400L/vfr400nc30/er5

Post by simmo »

this is a honda bolt with the sleve on it.
so that it fits in the fork leg.

then you have to space them out by about 4mm using some washers.

you need to file off about 1mm from the inside, where the disc touches it.

im using gsxr rear disc bolts at the moment to hold them in place, but im not keen on using them tbh.

i should be able to get some more of the spacers made up soon if your interested.
andyvanderpandy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr400L3

Post by andyvanderpandy »

ive just stuck a set of rr calipers on my L model, but had to put H discs on to fit. the only problem ive found is the bleed nipple is a bit clost to the mudguard mounting bracket, is this same for any of you others?