removing pistons from caliper

Moderator: Moderators

nc73
My Bike: zxr400 L

Re: removing pistons from caliper

Post by nc73 »

RedexRobB wrote:id place the shaft of a spanner (oooer!) where the disk would normally go. Then use the brake lever/compressed air to push them out. There should be enough there to stop them coming out all the way then.
that's what i did...
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

yep, they should come out most of the way then without popping out completely and allow you to pull them out.
nc73
My Bike: zxr400 L

Post by nc73 »

RedexRobB wrote:yep, they should come out most of the way then without popping out completely and allow you to pull them out.
i have an idea..what about using a hose clamp that fits and use that to prevent damage while you wiggle it out??? i think that would work, gonna find out soon enough once i rebuild my fronts.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

made a start on my 4 pots today, used the airline at work and "POP" out came one piston, the other 3 aint going anywhere!, have tried the grease gun method but the same none of them will shift!! NOW WHAT?? :smt013 the guy i bought these from had pushed all pistons on the 1 caliper all the way in :smt009 think i'm gonna have to connect it up to the brake lines and try and push them out.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
reds
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR 400

Post by reds »

grease gun was only thing that even came close for me (got 2 of the 8 out with this method) even the hydrualic pressure form the brakes wasnt enough in the ned0- had to buy new ones !
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

well spent hours last night removed one of my 6 pots and put the 4 pot on, bled the brakes and out popped all the pistons eventually! they weren't that bad tbh so stripped and cleaned em all up and now i have 1 x 6 pot and 1 x 4 pot on the bike and the brakes are sh*t hot!!! gonna do the other side tonight :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
will#224
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: L1 racer

Post by will#224 »

Was thinking about this again the other day, at work we have a hydraulic, jack, ram or puller set for putting coupling hubs on shafts and lifting various bigs items carefully. Its runs to 40,000psi and i reckon i could make an attachment to fit onto a brake line. Only problem is the mineral oil we use eats body fat. We did some heath and safety last week and they showed a pic of a line that split. A guys hand was just skin and bone after a few hours! EEeek!!!

I reckon the jacks that machine mart and the like sell might do it.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

did a few more hours on mine today with the other 4 pot, managed to get the pistons out but buggered if they were gonna go back in so put the 6 pots back on, have bled, bled, bled and bled them and they are still naff. more bleeding tomorrow!!!! :smt010
Chris1984
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by Chris1984 »

Having a nightmare with mine,had them apart today as the brakes are sticking and 1 came out with ease but the rest are wedged in out of frustration i pulled one piston out with pliers and put a small scratch in it,will this now have to be replaced?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

depends who you are asking? emery cloth, wet and dry, dremel, thats my philosophy then agian its your life you are talking about?
Chris1984

Post by Chris1984 »

masterofinsanity wrote:depends who you are asking? emery cloth, wet and dry, dremel, thats my philosophy then agian its your life you are talking about?
what could it do if i left it,what makes it so dangerous? Was just going to buy second hand caliper off ebay but they could be the same,might just but new pistons all round i no it will cost me but will give me piece of mind.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

it might rip the seals and when you hit that brake you will just squeeze all your fluid out and the brakes wont work. (worse case scenario) i've seen some well gouged pistons in the past that have worked fine.not that i would reccomend it.
SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by SOILZX »

Dunno whether you have sorted the problem with the seized pistons, but diesel fuel is brilliant for unseizing just about anything, Wurth diesel injector cleaner works realy well also, don't no what effect either would have on the caliper seals though. Ive used both in the past on all sorts, seized injectors, exhaust bolts etc. If left overnight, seems to do the job, just a thought.
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
Definitive mechanics toolkit: A hammer and a condom,
If it can't be fixed with a hammer, f*** it!!
will#224
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: L1 racer

Post by will#224 »

I did another set yesterday, i used paraffin, soaked them in it for a few hours, then pumped them with grease and used an airline. They came out easy.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Tried the grease trick - worked well but was left with one piston stuck in.

Pro's: It works :smt001
Con's: Messy work cleaning up afterwards :smt012

Tried the airline with a needle tip air blower that fitted into the bleed nipple hole - blew all pistons out no problems :excited

On the other calliper two popped out and all I done was covered the holes with rags and gave it a blast and out popped the other two :smt001

By far the better option and I would say going to any garage/workshop with an airline and giving the fella a few quid to pop them out for you will save you a can of parts cleaner + the time washing the grease out of them.

With another set I used a piston remover tool as they were hollow and with a slight twisting action they came out no prob's too so another recommended way of getting them out if you have this type of piston.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly