Reverse bleed

Moderator: Moderators

reds
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR 400

Reverse bleed

Post by reds »

decided to leave the other calipers for a while and get the back one back on the bike.

as it has a snapped bleed bolt, i am planning to reverse bleed the system.

so far as i am aware, i connect up the syringe/tube (air free) and force the fluid up through the system, then lock off the bleed bolt - then i pump the brake so the pistons come out, and connect with the brake disc ?

this is where i am unsure - do i slacked off the bleed bolt to let the pistons drop off the disc ? or will they automatically align themselves (cant see how this would happen )!
will#224
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: L1 racer

Re: Reverse bleed

Post by will#224 »

reverse bleed would just mean that you sent fluid up through the bleed nipple in the caliper to the master cylinder, the usual way would be to fill the mastercylinder resevoir and bleed it through that bleed nipple.

If its broken off, can you not drill it out, tap a new thread and buy an appropriate nipple or even easier just buy a replacement caliper.

You can bleed it as it is but it'll take you a long long time. Fill the mastercylinder, i presume its been empltied, and pump and pump and pump until you can get as much air out as possible, you'll need the caliper below the mastercylinder so the air travels upwards, the way it wants to travel naturally. I dont think you'd get it good enough to pass an mot but it might work a bit.