drilling out a bleed nipple

Moderator: Moderators

reds
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR 400

drilling out a bleed nipple

Post by reds »

it snapped off on me, so am going to try and drill it out - is my best bet to drill slightly under its diamater and then try to tap in a new thread ? or would i be better putting in a bigger bit, and tapping in a bigger thread and getting the relevant bleed nipple (i think its m6atm, so i could perhaps tap it to m8 and get an m8 bleed screw for it)

is my thinking right - or flawed !
mickthemirkin
My Bike: ZXR400H2

Re: drilling out a bleed nipple

Post by mickthemirkin »

Reds,

I would just try a stud extractor first. They look similar to a normal tap but have a left hand thread so that when you wind them in, anti-clockwise, they bite in the part to be undone and wind it out. Make sure you dose it with 3 in 1 first.

I have done this recently and if you use a sharp drill, you can drill a pilot hole with a hand drill which is much more accurate and forgiving than an electric drill, even with a slow start trigger grip.

The stud extractors are available from Machine Mart.

Where are you? I'm in Leicester so would gladly help if you're not too far away.

Cheers,

Mick.
reds
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR 400

Post by reds »

thanks for the info mick, im in worcestershire, so a bit far, but going to look for a stud extractor on ebay
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

i would go for the stud extractor mate if you can, failing that use a smaller drill and work on it.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
mickthemirkin
My Bike: ZXR400H2

Post by mickthemirkin »

Haven't looked on eBay but the set I have is from Machine Mart, page 278 in the current catalog, part no. 040213030 £11.48 for a set of 5 extractors of various sizes and a handle. Bargain. The Worcester branch is on 01905 723 451 or you can order for delivery from 0844 880 1250, or see http://www.machinemart.co.uk. Their catalog is essential reading for motorcyclists.

Let me know if you need any further info or help, mate.

Mick.
stug
My Bike: Yamaha R1

Post by stug »

Just remember if you are drilling it out DO NOT GO TOO FAR.
If you damage the seat where the bleed nipple goes it will never seal and will constantly leak.