Bleeding brakes!! URGENT!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dolts
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Bleeding brakes!! URGENT!!

Post by Dolts »

I need some help! i have been douing up a '96 gs500 to use for work, it is booked in for mot tomorrow morningand currently has no front brake! i have stripped and rebuilt the caliper with new seals and cleaned up the pistons. I cant seem to get the pistons to push out, i can get fresh fluid through with no air bubbles, but the lever just comes to the bar, when you feel the pistons, the seem to move ever so slightly, but then 'suck back' again when you release the lever!! They just wont pump out! and i dont have an airline etc to blow them out and start again!

any suggestions?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Bleeding brakes!! URGENT!!

Post by masterofinsanity »

remove your lever and tip the lever upright so the air in the top of the lines comes up through the master cylinder, then squeeze the pipe between m/c and reservoir to help the air through, do it a few times, take the cap off so you can see air coming up and keep it topped up.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

its a 1 piece cylinder and res
ratbag56
My Bike: zxr400 / 636

Post by ratbag56 »

sounds like air in the master cylinder (lever), crack the banjo bolt off at the end of the lever and then pull the lever slowly towards the bar (advise place rag under the master cylinder to catch the brake fluid) u will see some small bubbles come out, when the lever is fully back nip up the banjo. then pump the lever, repeat the process until no bubbles can be seen :excited
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

the pistons have pushed out so the pads are anout half a mm from the disk, but have now stopped!
Thanks ratbag, i'll give it a shot!
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

that did the trick, thanks ratbag!