brake issues... PLEASE help!!!!

Moderator: Moderators

monkeyman

brake issues... PLEASE help!!!!

Post by monkeyman »

Hi guys.. and gals. I've been trying to sort out the brakes on my zxr for a while now. I want to upgrade them and found that the Fireblade Nissin upgrade is a winner, so i went and bought some ebay. The only problem is that the discs on the zxr are slightly bigger than the blade so the outer edge of the disc rubs on the inside of the caliper. I got the calipers off a 2003 cbr 900rr. Can someone tell me if this was the wrong year to go for.

Has someone on here done it already or can someone suggest to me a decent alternative upgrade with specifications of which model/year to go for etc. I know there is information on here but there is nothing conclusive saying exaclty which bits to go for. I'm now stuck with a bike which is off the road and a pair of calipers which ain't going to fit. I've looked into the gsxr six pot upgrade but have heard it's not worth it unless you're going racing. A decent 4 pot upgrade would be great even if it does mean messing around with different sized bolts etc.

Can someone please give me some suggestions.

Thanks
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400 track, vfr800 road

Re: brake issues... PLEASE help!!!!

Post by Davw »

From what I remember of this upgrade there is a requirement to do a bit of gentle filing of the caliper alloy to stop the disc rubbing - check previous posts on this
Fatspanner Racing/[/size][/color]
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

aye, Simmo has honda nissins on his racebike. I remember he said in a post( on here somewhere) he had to file them a bit.
like dave says there is loads of info on caliper upgrades in the search
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Yep, as previously mentioned, a bit of filing sorts it :)

cant seem to find the topic concerned tho :smt017

haha, found it

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8908&p=71587#p71587
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

I've looked at that thread.
It looks like i'll have some awesome 4 pot nissins on there soon enough. The mention of the gsxr bolt is very helpful as well, that was causing trouble with the M8 thread on the Nissins compared to the M10 on the zxr.

Cheers for the help guys and finding the link to the right topic Rob.