Another suspension Q

Moderator: Moderators

SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Another suspension Q

Post by SOILZX »

Looks like 1 of the fork seals has started weeping and as it's coming up to winter fort i might tackle a few jobs as i don't like cold/wet weather riding.
Whilst the forks are out to have the seals done, i wondered whether it is worth having abit of an overhaul done,like new springs and cartridges etc? Anbody had a similar thing done and was it worth the expenditure? I thought it might be best to do it now, rather than get into next year and end up doing it anyway and have the forks out again.
Also, was thinking of doing something with the rear shock, as it's bloody hard. I see a few people on here have put gixxer rear shocks on. From model (i.e 600-1000) and which year is the better bet/fit and is any modding required to fit? or is there a shock from another bike that does job? I only do road riding, so can't see the point in spending mega bucks on a top end shock, because i won't be able to reach it's full potential (won't with the standard 1, but want abit more comfort!!)
An help would be greatly appreciated.
soilzx
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
Definitive mechanics toolkit: A hammer and a condom,
If it can't be fixed with a hammer, f*** it!!
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: Another suspension Q

Post by zimm »

I personally wouldnt bother re-building the forks for road use.. if they are that bad that they really need more than new seals and fresh oil, it'd probaby be cheaper to buy good replacements and sell yours.

what model is your bike ? cheapest mod for zxr backends is to try swapping to a different linkage,

H1, H2 and L linkage rockers all have different dimensions to each other giving more or less progressive feel... scour ebay and try a few different ones ... (i prefer the H1 linkage) A lighter spring might be worth a try if you arent a pie monster (even the kit manual specs a softer spring for racing !) There is an aftermarket linkage made back in the day by NWS meant to be good, unobtainium now though i fear.

next step is an SP shock, which is at least fully adjustable

or maxton (or whoever) can re-valve and re-spring your shock to spec if its in good nick
SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by SOILZX »

Thanx for the info, my bike is an L1.
I'll just get the seals done and fresh oil then, am i right thinking 5w oil? Just thought about a spring change as K-tec springs sre only £80, but then if don't need them, it's £80 that can be spent on something else.
I'll have a look round and try a different linkage on rear then, i'll keep an eye out for an SP shock aswell.
Thanx again
soilzx
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by SOILZX »

Would a rear shock linkage rocker from a 750 fit? I only ask as a mate has 1 and has said i can i have it
Cheers
SOILZX
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!