somethings not right

Moderator: Moderators

parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

somethings not right

Post by parby81 »

Over the winter I had noticed that I was getting a slight jolt through the bars when going over bumps.
Checked the wheel bearings and steering head bearings, all fine.

Push down on suspension and it compresses nicely. If you pull up on suspension, returns part way but not fully to normal sitting position. Apply a little pressure and down she pops. Feels as though there is a slight area where there is just no damping on the forks.

Thing is, now the weather has warmed up the jolt when going over bumps has completely disappeared and all feels fine whilst riding, still does the same if pulling up on the suspension though.

Could be as simple as low fork oil? or something worse. (and yes i know, the best way to find out would be to take them apart, but I'm trying to guess what it is before I attempt that biggrin )
These things are sent to try us!!
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: somethings not right

Post by CaNsA »

New bushes maybe. Also check there aren't any ridges on the chrome
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

drain and replace the fork oil then set the static sag to about an inch with the damping at midway and go from there.

fresh oil really helps as the damping adjustor doesnt have to be set to compensate for the degraded oil.
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

CaNsA - No ridges etc, all seems fine and no oil leaking either so i no its not the fork seals blown. Though the dust covers have been removed with a screwdriver before as you can see the mark on them.

Zimm - I'll give that a go when I can have the bike off the road. Might do a suspension rebuild - new seals etc, whilst i'm at it.

Cheers for the suggestions guys
These things are sent to try us!!