Zxr 400, fork re build/ re chrome?

Moderator: Moderators

Headling
My Bike: TZR250, ZXR400

Zxr 400, fork re build/ re chrome?

Post by Headling »

Hi Guys, finally getting on with giving my race bike a look over.

The front forks are leaking and I have also noticed some pitting on one fork leg!

I am based in Kent, can anyone recommend a company to do this work?

Any ideas on cost for seal kit and re chrome?

Thanks in advance.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: Zxr 400, fork re build/ re chrome?

Post by Mori Man »

My forks have a fair amount of micro pits in them with some well within the normal range of use on the stanchion.

I had them serviced with new bushings , seals and dust cap 3~4yrs ago and have never had a problem with them, certainly they are due an oil change though.

How big and where are the pits ?

If you do go down the re-chrome route look for a company who do hard chrome, if budget allowes then have them Nitrate coated to a colour of your choice :smt007 This makes for smoother fork action and is widely applied on the Supersports bikes these days and of course Ohlins forks :smt004

Kwak oil seals are about 22 quid each , but do the upper and lower bushes along with the nylon slider at the same time. With dust caps, spring clips and washers your about 100 Quid.

There is an Italian make of oil seal that has a tripple sealing lip , these are good for lightly pitted forks - name eludes me and I dont have packet at hand but something like Ariette

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly