Spring rate and lines?

Moderator: Moderators

Big Hoddie
My Bike: ZX4R

Spring rate and lines?

Post by Big Hoddie »

http://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/fork-s ... gs-91.html

What does spring rate mean? And which should be selected for that?

And how does it differ to a Hyperpro/Hagon progressive pair of springs?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Spring rate and lines?

Post by banner001 »

spring rate is the amount of force needed to move the spring a certain distance, i.e. 9N (thats newtons before you ask - btw, you should have spent more time in skool...anyways...) /mm, so it takes 9N to move the spring 1mm...dont bother to ask "which should i go for"...find out what you currently have, and decide if you need more or less...simples.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Big Hoddie
My Bike: ZX4R

Post by Big Hoddie »

banner001 wrote:spring rate is the amount of force needed to move the spring a certain distance, i.e. 9N (thats newtons before you ask - btw, you should have spent more time in skool...anyways...) /mm, so it takes 9N to move the spring 1mm...dont bother to ask "which should i go for"...find out what you currently have, and decide if you need more or less...simples.

I know what newtons are. Right, So when you are given the option for 3 different spring rates on the website before you buy the springs, will the lengths be different or the coil tighter etc?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

Big Hoddie wrote:
banner001 wrote:spring rate is the amount of force needed to move the spring a certain distance, i.e. 9N (thats newtons before you ask - btw, you should have spent more time in skool...anyways...) /mm, so it takes 9N to move the spring 1mm...dont bother to ask "which should i go for"...find out what you currently have, and decide if you need more or less...simples.

I know what newtons are. Right, So when you are given the option for 3 different spring rates on the website before you buy the springs, will the lengths be different or the coil tighter etc?
best bet, ask them.

i would imagine that the lengths will be the same, coil rate might be different, so might the diameter of the steel that makes the spring. best bet, is like i said, find out what your current rate is in N/mm then go from there.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

if your a fat fook like me then go for a heavier spring rate, if your average weight then go for the second rate, if your dani pedrosa then lightest spring rate, simples!
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

Or if your a really fast racer you might want a heavier spring. Elena Myers who was the first woman to win an AMA race at Daytona was using the same rate springs as I was a few years ago. She was lucky to break 110 lbs and I was about 200. Also I don't know any racers using progressive springs, I believe most prefer a straight rate.