Leaking Fork (not from the Seal)

Moderator: Moderators

brentm
My Bike: tomos moped

Leaking Fork (not from the Seal)

Post by brentm »

does anyone no if you can re-press your slider back into the housing on your USD fork, I have oil weeping from were your slider is pressed into the Leg on my 1989 ZXR400 Race Bike, or am I better off changing for any second hand Fork, If so are the 250 ones the same as the 400. Cheers.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Leaking Fork (not from the Seal)

Post by RedexRobB »

Unusual place to leak! I thought it was sealed that end as theres a bolt that keeps the slider and leg attached??? Are u sure its not the seal?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

i have a funny feeling they are heat sealed in place as well, so like a metal ring over a barell, the fork lower leg is heated and then placed over the cold stanchion...i dont think you can remove it easily, although i might be wrong.

as others have said, are you sure its there?

if its leaking on its own, wipe everything down really well then cable tie a bit of toilet paper/kitchen paper etc. half way down the stanchion so that its slightly tight, then you can see if the oil only affects the paper (leaking seal), fork lower (leak between the stanchion and the fork lower), or in both places (both leaking)...but in 99% of cases it will be a fork oil seal thats gone.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
brentm
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by brentm »

thanks for your replies, I will look for another set of forks, It's not the seal, It's on my Race Bike and when the bike is under heavy braking it weeps just a little. Cheers.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Edited all posts.

Changed Folk to Fork.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

For what it's worth: I completely stripped a set of forks to have the stanchions re-chromed and the lower fork legs powder coated. The stanchion screws into the lower fork leg, and has a square rubber seal around the bottom. When I separated them, there was a white powder visible on the threads. I did wonder if that was there to seal against oil leakage, but then reasoned that was the purpose of the rubber seal. I reassembled the forks about two months ago, and now both legs are weeping oil from the joint between stanchion and the lower fork leg!!! They will have to be separated again, and hydraulic sealant applied, which will hopefully do the job.